Ubuntu or Windows 7 on ION based HTPC?
I need some guidance here!

I have a Zotac MAG Atom330/Ion based HTPC and I am having some debates with myself over with both operating systems and using XBMC. Don't know if I want to dual boot or run XbmC Live on USB.

Pros of Windows
Me and the Family know how to operate it. (ease of use)
Cons
No HDMI multichannel audio (yet?)--One less cable vs audio going over SPDIF

Pros of Ubuntu
HDMI multichannel driver
Cons
Don't know much about it but hear it is all the rage.

Which direction should I go?
If the system is going to be strickly a HTPC, I would stick with XBMCLive.. I've seen on the forum how people have had difficulties setting up Live to it's full potential(I know I did) but there are quite a few good step by step how-to's, as well as a lot of information on the web for Ubuntu(the base Linux OS)..
I went with windows, mainly as I havent got a clue how to use linux and was having issues setting it up. There are some great guides and some very helpful people who will help you if you need it.

I'm pretty sure I get multichannel audio from mine, my amp certainly registers it as multichannel.

Other reason I went for windows was for blu ray playback, didnt like the idea of using makemkv, much prefer using tmt player works wonders.
I am having the same dilemma, however, I am leaning towards win7 because of Hulu Desktop (I am totally giving up cable in a couple of months)

As far as I know, no gpu offloading for flash in linux yet. And ion chokes on hd flash without it.
You are getting multichannel on an ION PC with HDMI? Which driver are you using?
I have yet to find out how to do it.
I originally used windows version but under ubuntu my system does all the stuff listed in my sig. Windows could not do all this at the same time. Ubuntu is not easy, but the rewards I feel were certainly worth the effort and distress.

Xbmcfreakx modified is a godsend for ION systems aswell.
Server: FreeNas 9 NAS: 6*3TB - Kodi Sql Database
Kodi Systems: Nvidia Shield Pro, G-Box Q (OpenElec), RikoMagic MK802 IV[
Skin: reFocus
I just downloaded all the latest drivers from nvidia including the hdmi audio one.

Using the 9400m chipset.
Personly I would pick Ubuntu if you know how to work with it. It has serveral advantages like faster boottimes and on my htpc it seems to run smoother.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu or Windows 7 on ION based HTPC?0