WINDOWS - Screen Res: 1920x1080 1920x1080 @60 - Full screen 28Hz
ok.. I'm still having problems with Video tearing.. my question is as follows

System Info - Video - Screen Res: 1920x1080 1920x1080 @60 - Full screen 28Hz

In the above System info line... at the end it says Full Screen 28Hz... which seems to fluctuate at whatever it wants.. and I can't guarantee what it will be... so is the 28Hz from the Video card or my TV?

In other words... what is XBMC reporting is 28Hz... the Video card output or my TV?

(This started happening after I bought a new TV that is a 240Hz's tv)

I have a built in ATI Video card and just bought a PCIx GTS250 thinking it may help.....?!?

Thank-you in advance.
The 28 hertz is the rendering fps, which in this case probably means that the gpu is way too slow.
bobo1on1 Wrote:The 28 hertz is the rendering fps, which in this case probably means that the gpu is way too slow.

A GTS250 should be able to do the job. Something is going on with drivers I bet.

For future note though: a GTS240 is MUCH better than a GTS250 at decoding, despite how confusing that is.
Doesn't say in the post that he's actually using the GTS250.
Ya I'm not using the GTS250 YET.... but are you saying I should use the GTS240 instead?

I haven't opened the 250 yet.. so I could return and get the 240.... Why is the 240 better?
detroitdr Wrote:Ya I'm not using the GTS250 YET.... but are you saying I should use the GTS240 instead?

I haven't opened the 250 yet.. so I could return and get the 240.... Why is the 240 better?

The non mobile 250 is like the non mobile 260- it only supports Pure Video feature set A.

Meanwhile the 240 is a newer card and is targeted to be Nvidia's top HTPC card. It has the highest level of Pure Video.

More information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo
Thank-you Poofyhairguy! :>

So is this card what you would suggest for Windows XP?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_i..._id=027859

Thank-you again in advance.

(also is there any SPECIAL settings I'd need to do inside XBMC to take advantage of this card?)
detroitdr Wrote:Thank-you Poofyhairguy! :>

So is this card what you would suggest for Windows XP?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_i..._id=027859

Thank-you again in advance.

(also is there any SPECIAL settings I'd need to do inside XBMC to take advantage of this card?)

Unless you are planning on playing games there is no reason to get even a 240GT. A 220GT does everything acceleration-wise a 240GT does. Heck, even a last generation 9400GT card I have can play back the meanest Blu Ray tip I have. But that brings in the bad news:

Honestly I suggest no card for Windows XP.

Windows XP lacks the backend acceleration architecture needed to be used by XBMC to the fullest. The new XBMC build use DXVA2, which is only available in Windows 7 (and Vista, but lets forget that OS exists).

If I was you I would trade in the 250GT for either a 220GT or a 210GT (go with the 210GT if you don't plan on watching live TV broadcasts), and use the money saved to pick up an OEM Windows 7 license.

If that is too much than I invite you to give XBMC Live a try when the next stable release comes. It is free and based on Linux (and is what I use personally), and it will get full use of your hardware (at the cost of complication).
Thank-you Poofyhairguy.. Your knowledge has greatly helped me!

I traded in the 250 and got the 240 (mail in rebate for 40.. puts it $10 above the 220... and they didn't have the 220's)

So I also bought Win 7 64bit OEM. I will install in the next day or two.

2 QUESTIONS:
b) What rev of XBMC should I be using now then?
a) Is there anything special I have to do in Win7 or XBMC to take advantage of this new card?

Thank-you very much again!
Get a most recent build:

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/

Make sure it is using DXVA playback in XBMC's video settings (NOT "Auto Detect," Change that).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WINDOWS - Screen Res: 1920x1080 1920x1080 @60 - Full screen 28Hz0