XBMC and Intel HD / Core i3 Graphics
Hi all,

First of all thanks for making this beautiful application that makes my HTPC complete.

I've recently put together a new HTPC box based on a H55 motherboard and an Intel Core i3 540 CPU.

I have been searching the net and this forum for some clear information about hardware acceleration for the integrated GPU in the Core i3, but it is not really clear to me.

What can we expect in 10.05 with regards to HW acceleration via GPU for x264/H.264 and VC1 material? Also, which would be the best way to go: Windows (7/Vista) or Linux in order to get the most out of HW acceleration?

All x264 files seem to play flawlessly already on my HTPC, but VC1 is still struggling a bit. However these VC1 files seem to play fine on my regular PC (Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU and a GeForce 8800 GTS) using the latest stable build (I suspect without any HW acceleration). On my Core i3 HTPC I am using the latest Intel graphics drivers (released in April 2010) and a later build of XBMC: r28256.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
I don't know if the i3 onboard has VC1 decoding. Even as it is i3 GPU support in Linux XBMC is still pretty rough (as in in development), so if you want to stick with that GPU you will need Windows 7 currently (or some mad Linux skills).

Seriously though, why not just get a decent Nvidia card to throw in there? You are hurting such a powerful CPU by pairing it with a legendary crap Intel GPU (yes I know Intel technically pared them, but the company refuses to admits its GPUs are junk).

One simple sub $50 Nvidia card and you will play everything out there....
Yes I have been playing with that idea as well.. So with a recent (200 series) nVidia card I should be able to have decent HW decoding in Win7 as well as Dolby TrueHD / DTS-MA throughput via the HDMI connection?
I thought the i3 could play 1080p without issue using CPU alone, so why is yours struggling?
It plays all regular x264 files flawlessly, except some VC-1 files. The VC-1 files stutter sometimes and the codec info shows CPU usage at about 25% and VCPU (I am not sure if this reflects the GPU load) usage between 50% and 90%.
Robbio85

I believe VAAPI is supported by Core i3 so you should get hardware acceleration in linux as well. You need to pickup latest svn builds but use at your own risk.
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
Robbio85 Wrote:Yes I have been playing with that idea as well.. So with a recent (200 series) nVidia card I should be able to have decent HW decoding in Win7 as well as Dolby TrueHD / DTS-MA throughput via the HDMI connection?

Not even a great 2xxGT series.

Technically there is not a card in Nvidia's lineup that has more playback features than the 220GT. In fact that card does better at video decoding than a 260GT!

Seriously: cheap 220GT (avoid the 210, has a few limits on interlacing) and you are set.

Even at its best running with heaven-made drivers that don't exist that get 100% out of i3 onboard GPUs, a 220GT is still lightyears better.

Only thing i3 GPUs have on Nvidia cards is their ability in Windows 7 to bitstream DTS HD and Dolby True HD audio, while NVidia cards decode it on the card and pass it over as 7.1 channel PCM.

If you need the bitstreaming features (say your AV receiver is $2000 and does certain tricks to those types of tracks) get a 5xxx series ATI card. But note that bitstreaming only works in Windows 7, and a ATI card is really only good in Windows 7, while an Nvidia GPU rocks in Linux and has full support in Linux.

It is all about tradeoffs really....
Thx for the explanation poofyhairguy.

So if I want good HW acceleration plus bit streaming (because I have such an AV receiver) it depends on the OS which card I should choose:

Linux: GeForce 220GT - without bitstreaming but will convert HD audio to 7.1 LPCM
Windows: Ati 5xxx card

So I take it that the new major release of XBMC (10.05) has full support for HW decoding in Win7 using an Ati 5xxx series card?
Robbio85 Wrote:Thx for the explanation poofyhairguy.

So if I want good HW acceleration plus bit streaming (because I have such an AV receiver) it depends on the OS which card I should choose:

Linux: GeForce 220GT - without bitstreaming but will convert HD audio to 7.1 LPCM

So I take it that the new major release of XBMC (10.05) has full support for HW decoding in Win7 using an Ati 5xxx series card?

Seems like it:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ight=dvxa2
Robbio85 Wrote:Thx for the explanation poofyhairguy.

But unless you spent a ton of money on your AV receiver, the ATI card is not necessary and will lock you into a Windows-only path.
Yep, good point as well.

The problem is that I am attracted to a Linux installation, but I am used to Windows environments.

I am still not sure which OS I will choose and I guess I can live the the LPCM converting on the GeForce for Dolby/DTS HD soundtracks.

So you are saying that the Windows version of XBMC (at least 10.05 stable) will support decent HW acceleration on a GeForce 220GT? That would make the choice more easy, because it will enable me to change the OS at a later point.
I will put it this way: Try XBMC Live. You can run it from a USB stick with minimal investment and an extremely simple recovery if you don't like it (just by unplugging and rebooting into Windows). If you like it, great. If you don't, well, at least you will know.
GJones Wrote:But unless you spent a ton of money on your AV receiver, the ATI card is not necessary and will lock you into a Windows-only path.

It's not true to say that you'd be locked into Windows. There's currently VAAPI code in SVN and users have reported it working under Linux. It's fair to say that Windows has HW decoding for ATI at present where the current Linux builds do not but it shouldn't remain that way for too long.
GJones Wrote:I will put it this way: Try XBMC Live. You can run it from a USB stick with minimal investment and an extremely simple recovery if you don't like it (just by unplugging and rebooting into Windows). If you like it, great. If you don't, well, at least you will know.

I understand your point GJones, but I am really a Linux newbie. In Windows I know how to set everything up properly (i.e. setting up the harmony remote for starting/controlling XBMC or shutting down the PC). Switching to Linux means figuring out all the basic stuff which is very time consuming - even with all the guides and FAQ's available on the net...

Even installing skins/add-ons for XBMC is a totally new area for me - not even thinking about troubleshooting in case I run into any issues. Also the Live version would not do it for me since I want to use other applications next to XBMC. When switching to Linux I would install Ubuntu 10.04 and then the XBMC 10.05 (when the stable version is released).

Therefore I would like to know if there is HW acceleration support in the Windows version of XBMC (10.05) for Gefore 2xxx series gfx cards Smile
Robbio85 Wrote:...Also the Live version would not do it for me since I want to use other applications next to XBMC. When switching to Linux I would install Ubuntu 10.04 and then the XBMC 10.05 (when the stable version is released).

If that is the case, you are not looking for the best version of XBMC, but the best version of XBMC that runs on Windows. This is fine, it is just a different question.

Always go with an nVidia card. This is not because it has every advantage (it does) but because they have been much more open regarding drivers and the development community. ATI can make some very nice cards but they have always suffered from fits and bursts of useful development information separated by exceptionally long silences. In short, you are more likely to have a good experience with an nVidia card over a longer period of time.

For the record, I would absolutely not install XBMC on Ubuntu 10.04 right now. I happen to have a number of 10.04 installations at my house, but my XBMC machine is happily still on 9.10. If the primary function of a box is XBMC, stick with a supported, mature version of the operating system. Going with a brand new release is asking for trouble. Unless you completely accept that your XBMC installation might be hosed regularly, do not go there. Wait til XBMC actually supports it and then move over. If, however, XBMC is an afterthought on the machine, use whatever version you want because you will not miss it when it fails.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC and Intel HD / Core i3 Graphics1