[Linux] updating bios though linux...
I got a stupid question. I just bought a Zotac Mag nettop and want to update the bios. Im putting linux on and don't know how to do this.

Is it possible to update bios through Linux?

Thanks
You can always create a MS-DOS/Free DOS bootable USB stick to flash it from there.
There are opens source developments in BIOS flashing on Linux but its recommended you stick to DOS or Windows.
TREX6662k5 Wrote:You can always create a MS-DOS/Free DOS bootable USB stick to flash it from there.
There are opens source developments in BIOS flashing on Linux but its recommended you stick to DOS or Windows.

Thanks I will try the free dos disk.
check the bios....asrock ion 330 BIOS will read it directly from flash. (download the dos version and unzip to flash)
Hi
You can use the guide from here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=68653

cheers
Roberto
As TREX said. Use Freedos

I think UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) comes with freedos. You can use unetbootin to put it on a flash drive. You might have to hit F11 to get the boot menu if it wont do it for you.
You could do it from the commandline with flashrom http://linux.die.net/man/8/flashrom
MC1 (SD & HD): Asus A8N SLI, AMD x2 4600+, 2GB DDR 400 Cosair, Palit Nvidia 9400GT 1GB (Passive), ARTIC 500W PSU, Lian Li PC-C32B, Samsung 250GB SATA
MC2 (SD&HD): RaspberryPi
MC3 (SD&HD): RaspberryPi
NAS1: HP Prolient Microserver N40L 2Gb Ram, 250Gb OS Disk, 1x2TB HDD ext4, 5.25" to 3.5" disk drive added to ODD Slot for OS disk

Blog: http://ninet.org
Well what I ended up doing is install windows 7 and updated the bios through windows. It said that the install was successful so I restarted and the Zotac was a brick.

I called Zotacs customer line and the guy told me I need to return it. He also told me I didnt need to update the bios. He pretty much tried to make me feel stupid..
I brought it back to the place I bought it at and got a Revo 1600.
The dual core Zotac mag was a little too loud for me.

Thanks for the help guys.
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:He pretty much tried to make me feel stupid..

You did that all by yourself by installing windows just to update the bios.

You should have taken the 1.79264 minuets to boot freedos and load an updated bios

Quote:The dual core Zotac mag was a little too loud for me.

It needs a fan setting adjustment to your liking.

I made a post awhile back about people asking for advice.

Help requester:

Can you help with with my problem and tell me what to do.

Help provider:

Option 1 (Recommended)
Do this, that and the other thing.

Option 2 (Not recommended)
Poke yourself in the eye repeatedly with a sharp stick till you lose consciousness.

Help requester:

Thanks I will try option 2

Why bother to ask if you insist on doing it "your way" regardless?
I use a Mac and always have trouble making a bootable flashdrive so went to windows install.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] updating bios though linux...0