Schedule Framework with a Calendar View and unified API?
Lightbulb 
Following on from this discussion here, Ive finally decided to discuss a feature Ive been thinking about for a little while.

I first thought of this because I don't agree the 'Weather' section totally fits into xbmc anymore. Imo weather isnt that media specific that it requires its own menu option.

Instead I propose a 'Schedule' section which would be served by the new addons feature. By default, this 'Schedule' section would only contain weather details for each day. However the following could be added/removed in the addon manager:

- Weather Schedule Addon (installed by default)
- Sleep Timer Schedule Addon (installed by default)
- PVR Schedule Addon (installed with pvr client)
- SickBeard Schedule Addon (3rd party)
- GoogleCal Schedule Addon (3rd party)
- etc

Would like to hear some other's thoughts on this and perhaps dev's could let me know whether this would (or not) be as advantageous as I believe.
I agree with something like this--especially now that submenus are so common in the skins.

Particularly, I would like to see a sickbeard addon--which to my knowledge doesn't currently exist.

Of course this can all be done through skinning, and probably should be done in skinning. It also doesn't have to be done at the exclusion of the Weather button.

I think that maybe you just have a good idea for your own custom button.
I agree with you in part. I know this is all able to be done through skins/scripts/plugins etc. however I think everyone (skinners especially) would agree we need to cut down on the number of windows which are required to be skinned. For instance I read yesterday somewhere that there is discussion among devs about combining the plugins and scripts windows into one.

While I like the existing weather page, with all the additional information. tbh I have never used xbmc to see what the rainfall or windspeed is. If done correctly, I would much rather it just show the icon representing the forecast (sunny, rain, windy etc) and then be able to customise the view (by adding addons) to show other things such as scheduled recordings for that day, upcoming episodes (sickbeard) or for instance my scheduled meetings (gcal).

In my opinion this may provide a neater/ more flexible result than skinning each individually.
are you talking about something like igoogle where you could add small boxes that show different things like weather,time,schedules,gmail etc? i think this way would be best some addons could have home boxes and show information that is important and when u select the box it would go to the addon if it has the capability some boxes wouldn't need anything else.

for example at home you would have a window that has boxes that show differnt addons information like a weather box shows this weeks weather and a sickbeard box with up coming tv shows and if you press on say sickbeard it would bring you to the sickbeard addon where you could get more info and control. This way you could just in one second see whats new in your addons without having to go in each one. Each box would look the same so the skinning code could have a default box skin code and be reused for all the boxes.
The way I see it working is by replacing the current weather window with a schedule (calendar) window. In this window, the 'week' view would be to have 7 columns (each day of the week) and then a row for each schedule addon.

The sidemenu would have toggle buttons for each schedule addon installed so that you could customise which you see. Somewhat similar to what gcal does with different calendars.

Perhaps you could also have a 'single' view where the sidemenu buttons switch between the schedule addons. This view would be very similar to the current weather screen.

This could all be integrated with the notification framework so you can be alerted when an event is occuring.

Correct me if I understand you wrong but the problem with having a box for each addon on the homescreen is that it would end up taking up too much screen real estate. Unless of course you mean having say a 'schedule' menu item with submenu items such as sickbeard, pvr, etc. hovering over these items would show the schedule on the home screen. I like this idea.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Schedule Framework with a Calendar View and unified API?0