Help! Filesystem not found?
The other night, I had just finished watching an episode of Mad Men when XBMC disappeared from my screen and got replaced by the console. It said this message:

Grub Loading
Error: Filesystem not found
Grub Rescue>

I've got an ASRock 330, and every time I rebooted, I just got the same screen. No commands seemed to work.

I'm able to boot a live CD, and following some instructions from the internet, I tried to reinstall from the live CD with "sudo grub-install." But that just got me a message asking "is /dev mounted"? I poked around a little bit trying to "get /dev mounted" but nothing I found seemed to work.

It seems weird to me that this problem would come up after my machine has run pretty much flawlessly for the last 6 months unless it was some sort of hardware failure, but I don't know enough about Linux to figure it out.

If anybody has any ideas, I would love to hear them. Huh

Thanks!
Just for a little bit more information (in case it's helpful).

"sudo grub-install /dev/sda1" gives me:

Code:
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?).
No path or device is specified.
Try `/usr/sbin/grub-probe --help' for more information.
Auto-detection of a filesystem module failed.
Please specify the module with the option `--modules' explicitly.

and "sudo mount /dev/sda1" gives me:

Code:
mount: can't find /dev/sda1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
Quote:sudo grub-install /dev/sda1" gives me
I dont think it the only problem but I think it is:
Quote:sudo grub-install /dev/sda
you need.

What do
fdisk -l
give?

EDIT:
When I read your first post I see that the system cannot find /dev
I am not sure what it means since you have booted from liveCD the /dev refered must be in the LiveCD filesystem.
I never figured out the grub installation process to be honest.

If you can access the disk from LiveCD you could just backup your home directoty and re-install...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help! Filesystem not found?0