[Linux] How to improve ATI preformence for HD content?
Hey,

I am fairly new to Linux and I installed Ubuntu 10.04 (Kubuntu) last week with high hopes to leave the Windows world.
After some tinkering I managed to get everything running but when I play HD films the XBMC player does not render it well and I get jittery effect (what we used to call digital drops). Mainly in frames with very bright content.

So I kept reading and saw that there are several issues with ATI cards on Linux in general and I wonder what is the best way to improve performance for HD movies?
I have the ATI Radeon HD 5450 and I use the proprietary ATI driver.
Are there different drivers which are better to use?

By the way, same PC on the WIN7 boot in XBMC runs perfect.
Give it some time. VAAPI support is new. It took a year for VDPAU support to hit 100%....
Hi, I have an ATI Radeon HD 4670 (over HDMI) on my HTPC, but inside the XBMC when running .mkv ou mpg4 files I can see only a flash of various colour when I play something, the audio and subtitles work fine. Even if I play something in VLC I can see all that I want. I don't understand the XBMC problem.

I have the last driver of vendor drivers for ATI HD 4000 Series adapter. This can be some bug of ATI driver or XMBC config error, I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my HTPC.

Someone knows this problem?
patryck Wrote:Hi, I have an ATI Radeon HD 4670 (over HDMI) on my HTPC, but inside the XBMC when running .mkv ou mpg4 files I can see only a flash of various colour when I play something, the audio and subtitles work fine. Even if I play something in VLC I can see all that I want. I don't understand the XBMC problem.

I have the last driver of vendor drivers for ATI HD 4000 Series adapter. This can be some bug of ATI driver or XBMC config error, I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my HTPC.

The reason it works in VLC is because unless you custom compiled a version of VLC with VAAPI support then VLC is just using CPU decoding. You can do that too in XBMC- just set the playback to software mode.

As far as getting better VAAPI support (ATI GPU decoding support), the best suggestion is to wait.

Windows-centric people have trouble with this. In Windowsland when a feature is "released" in a bit of software that usually means it is production ready. In Linuxland it is different: support usually means it works at some basic level, with maybe the potential for more later.

So when XBMC announced VAAPI support, that did not mean that "XBMC can now decode content with ATI GPUs just as good as Windows does!" It meant "Technically now we can use VAAPI to accelerate SOMETHING, and hopefully that means in a year it will be fully supported like VDPAU is."
patryck Wrote:Hi, I have an ATI Radeon HD 4670 (over HDMI) on my HTPC, but inside the XBMC when running .mkv ou mpg4 files I can see only a flash of various colour when I play something, the audio and subtitles work fine. Even if I play something in VLC I can see all that I want. I don't understand the XBMC problem.

I have the last driver of vendor drivers for ATI HD 4000 Series adapter. This can be some bug of ATI driver or XBMC config error, I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my HTPC.

Set render method to basic shaders(arb).
bobo1on1 Wrote:Set render method to basic shaders(arb).

Thanks, now work fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] How to improve ATI preformence for HD content?0