MCE Remote / Harmony - Aspire Revo 1600
I did search and went through a few different guides in setting up Harmony remotes but still unsure. I'm using latest release of TeamXBMC package.

This is the remote I got from newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

Out of the box, it works fine and has all basic functionality. But I'm having some problems getting the Harmony to work. I set it up on the software as "MCE Remote" but all the buttons seems out of whack.

Within the Harmony software, what should I select as the device for the remote I got for Harmony to learn? I'm guessing this is where my problem lies and not having the right device selected.
The first post gives you the info you need.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54466
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:The first post gives you the info you need.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54466

windows thread in the linux subforum Confused

justdoit Wrote:I did search and went through a few different guides in setting up Harmony remotes but still unsure. I'm using latest release of TeamXBMC package.

This is the remote I got from newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

Out of the box, it works fine and has all basic functionality. But I'm having some problems getting the Harmony to work. I set it up on the software as "MCE Remote" but all the buttons seems out of whack.

Within the Harmony software, what should I select as the device for the remote I got for Harmony to learn? I'm guessing this is where my problem lies and not having the right device selected.

i'm at work and don't remember off the top of my head but the harmony setup software should have an option for mce remote or media center remote. from there just fine tune what you want each key to do via keymap.xml (colored buttons, etc).
Thanks! I'll give that a shot when I'm home. I came across a post that mentioned both setting it to either "MCE Remote" or "MCE Keyboard".
furii Wrote:windows thread in the linux subforum Confused

i'm at work and don't remember off the top of my head but the harmony setup software should have an option for mce remote or media center remote. from there just fine tune what you want each key to do via keymap.xml (colored buttons, etc).

Um negative...Confused

He asked within the harmony software what to set it as.
The post I referred to says...

"First, i'd like to say thanks to the developers and the forum members. XBMC is a great media center software and the amount of information on the forum, while overwhelming, is extremely helpful. Since i've received so much information from the forum, i was hoping this might help someone else with a Harmony remote.
While searching for information regarding the Harmony remote and keymapping, i found a post on the Logitech forums. When inputting a new device using the logitech software and the manufacturer as microsoft, the model can be put in as MCE Keyboard. This doesn't show up in the menu, but is available when typed in. I then mapped the harmony keys to keyboard strokes within the Harmony software. I can now use the remote with XBMC without Event Ghost or any other keymapping software running.
I am still trying to learn more specifics of how XBMC works so that i can fine tune my key mappings. I have not yet figured out a way to get the Harmony to output a double key press. If i can figure out a way to do this, XBMC could be started using a hotkey combination. If anyone can help, i would appreciate it. "

What is bold is what I think he needs. When you setup the remote this way you can chose what keyboard buttons you want to use.

Thanks for coming!
Um... Double Negative... Confused

I had no problems using MCE remote (from Harmony software) for my Harmony 720.

In fact setting it up as an MCE Keyboard seems like an exceptionally convoluted way to get the same functionality. Maybe you need to do that for Windows, but that is not the case in Linux/Live. There was some editing to remote.xml and testing which IR command did what then assigning them properly.

OP I can send you my remote.xml etc. when I get home and you can try them.
Izod517 Wrote:Um... Double Negative... Confused

I had no problems using MCE remote (from Harmony software) for my Harmony 720.

In fact setting it up as an MCE Keyboard seems like an exceptionally convoluted way to get the same functionality. Maybe you need to do that for Windows, but that is not the case in Linux/Live. There was some editing to remote.xml and testing which IR command did what then assigning them properly.

OP I can send you my remote.xml etc. when I get home and you can try them.

SeriouslyHuh Are you reading the OP's original post? He wanted to know what to setup the remote under the software that came with it. To me it looks like hes asking about the logitech software to input the devices hes controlling with it. To top it off the linux version is supposed to have the MCE IR drives so.....

Im giving him that answer.. Why don't you let him answer if thats what he wants.

look at his post again ...

justdoit Wrote:Out of the box, it works fine and has all basic functionality. But I'm having some problems getting the Harmony to work. I set it up on the software as "MCE Remote" but all the buttons seems out of whack.

YES I did, and I'm telling you USING THE HARMONY SOFTWARE as I said in my previous post
Quote:(from Harmony software)
, I have my Harmony set to MCE Remote - and it works JUST FINE. His problem is likely in remote.xml or in assigning specific IR commands to the right buttons in the Harmony software, either or. Within the Harmony remote software you can assign different IR commands to the different buttons easily - and some trial and error will get you where you want the remote to be.

I believe setting up the Harmony as an MCE Keyboard is a convoluted way to get the same functionality and is really only needed for Windows users. His issue isn't functionality it's simply tweaking it how he wants. Which in that case is simply a matter of testing and assigning IR commands to the buttons he wants OR editting remote.xml - either will work and he'll probably need to use a mixture of the two.

So SORRY I disagree with you that setting it up as an MCE Keyboard (IN THE HARMONY SOFTWARE) is both more trouble than it's worth and convoluted. If he does that he's going to have to go through the same process of testing and crap to make the remote do what he wants - probably more so. All he needs to do is test the commands that the Harmony software has and see exactly what he is looking for and reassign them accordingly AS an MCE Remote not as an MCE Keyboard (IN THE HARMONY SOFTWARE). Again his problem isn't in the selected device.

The real question is what he means by "out of whack."

I'm not letting him "answer if that's what he wants" because you gave him the wrong answer for Linux. You gave him an answer that is going to end up causing more headache and trouble than it's worth to set up properly. The answer is MCE Remote is correct and that's not where his issue is.

Do you even have a Harmony remote working on a Linux systemHuh
Laugh

justdoit Wrote:Within the Harmony software, what should I select as the device for the remote I got for Harmony to learn? I'm guessing this is where my problem lies and not having the right device selected.

This is his question... Thats the first place to start... You don't need to make things complicated for the guy yet.
whoa whoa lol .. didn't mean to stir things up Big Grin

in any case, what i meant by "out of wack" was that some keys that was assigned correctly in harmony software supposedly didnt function as it should in comparison to the MCE itself.

For example, i assigned "Menu" to the "Green Button" which should take me back to home screen but it doesnt work. Also when I press "Prev" for back, it doesnt behave properly in all screens. This was all at 1-2am so I will try test it out some more when I get the time.

Izod, can you send me your remote.xml? id like to give it a try Smile

thanks again!

Edit: Also, through searching and reading the wiki .. i came across mentioning of both MCE Remote and MCE Keyboard. Some mention that MCE Remote was better to use so thats why I had started off with that initially. But since it wasn't working right for me, I wanted to make sure I had the right one selected in the Harmony Software since some of the guides that are posted here mostly utlizes the Xbox DVD Dongle.
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:Laugh
This is his question... Thats the first place to start... You don't need to make things complicated for the guy yet.

Right, and you were giving the incorrect answer to said question. MCE Remote is the answer for the easiest setup not MCE keyboard (unless you are in Windows where it's essentially the only option). Which was my point.

I'll send you a pic of both my Harmony software setup buttons and my remote.xml (create a copy of your original just in case) (as well as my lirc.conf etc.).

Some of what you describe is simply due to how XBMC behaves in regards to remotes. Prev is a weird button that doesn't always do what you think it will.
http://www.mediafire.com/?wtdtwzoyytg

Ok that's got pics of my Harmony setup in the Harmony software, the remote.xml (.xbmc/userdata/keymaps), lircd.conf (/etc/lirc), lircmap.xml (.xbmc/userdata), and even hardware.conf (/etc/lirc)

A lot of it is personal preference but this works perfectly for me. (There are a few optional lines like the joystick line that can be removed in remote.xml, I added that to disable my wireless joystick in XBMC).

I believe the selected device may actually be Media Center PC and not MCE Remote. Computer > Media Center PC > Microsoft > Windows Media Center (as model). I'm fairly positive I had the same setup working as MCE Remote.

For an explanation on the additional custom buttons I set up I used this guide (roughly):
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67350

But first and foremost see if this setup works or see if Windows Media Center PC works as your Harmony device selection.

I hope either works, I would have killed a small animal for this when I was working on mine.
Izod, really appreciate those files. I wont have time to mess with it tonight but I'll look it over to see what I need to do. Certainly a big help though and I'm sure that'll help others as well. Thanks!!! Big Grin
well i couldn't resist so I went ahead and re-setup the remote in Harmony software per Izod's screenshots. Re-did the activities for XBMC Media Center as well.

There was no existing remote.xml in my xbmc install so I just copy that over. I couldn't copy the lirc file due to permissions issue but was able to upload the other one.

In any case, it works great so far!!! all the standard buttons work as it should including the custom buttons Izod had set in those files.

really really appreciate the help in getting this setup!! this should definitely be a guide as a good starting point to get MCE Remote / Harmony setup Big Grin
Rock on man, glad it worked out for you - I had some concerns about going from one system to another but apparently it worked out. Feel free to edit away following the thread I posted above and make it your own if you find you need it to do something it doesn't.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MCE Remote / Harmony - Aspire Revo 16000