video modes question
so...I am brand new to xbmc.

I have a Hewlett Packard Hybrid that came with Windows Vista, which I have upgraded to Win 7. I have this connected to my TV (Toshiba 47" 1080i connected using HDMI)

I downloaded the XBMC Live disc and booted that. Whenever any options appear on the screen while XBMC Live is booting, I miss a huge portion of it to the left. When I try to slect a video mode, i cannot see the codes on the left to select one. I have tried changing the TV settings to view this but none help.

When I eventually got XBMC to boot, i went into the settings and managed to bring the misisng edges on to the screen (overscan settings) but it doesnt help me see the other options. I realise that this may be due to the read-only status of a CD, would it change if i installed on my HDD?

My MAIN issue though is that once XBMC had started, i only had 3 option in the resolution (?) settings....two of them being Huhx576 and the other one being "windowed".

I really like the look of XBMC but want it running at 1080i..the hardware cant be the problem as under windows, 1080i is automatically selected and runs perfectly.

Any suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated

Thanks
davehx
OK...22 views but no replies.

Is there any other info I could post that might help someone come up with a suggestion??
what is your tv model? since you keep saying 1080i chances are it's not 1080p and therefore you won't get a 1920x1080 resolution. i'm willing to bet it's a 720p tv running 1366x768 or something of the sort and that's why live is showing you the resolutions it is. just because windows says it's displaying at 1080i (which isn't a resolution btw) doesn't mean it really is. windows may be transmitting 1920x1080 but since your tv doesn't have the pixels it is downscaling the image.

if you have a spare usb stick sitting around i'd suggest installing live onto that and running jumjum's script for proper tv settings: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70068
What the post above me said.

Make sure you calibrate your display as well.
poofyhairguy Wrote:What the post above me said.

by calibrate, what exactly do you mean? I have made sure that it isnt set to cinema mode, 4:3 or anything crazy like that. I usually have it on "Exact Scan" when watching HD satellite TV or playing on XBox/PS3...but the exact scan option is greyed out and unselectable (is that a word) when i have xbmc running

furii Wrote:what is your tv model? since you keep saying 1080i chances are it's not 1080p and therefore you won't get a 1920x1080 resolution. i'm willing to bet it's a 720p tv running 1366x768 or something of the sort and that's why live is showing you the resolutions it is. just because windows says it's displaying at 1080i (which isn't a resolution btw) doesn't mean it really is. windows may be transmitting 1920x1080 but since your tv doesn't have the pixels it is downscaling the image.

if you have a spare usb stick sitting around i'd suggest installing live onto that and running jumjum's script for proper tv settings: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70068

its a Toshiba 47WLT66
http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/product/Tosh...99278.html

the tv does not do 1080p, only 1080i but is definitely 1920x1080. I purposely avoided those offering Huh?x768 when i bought it.. I'll take a shot at the usb thing...cheers for the help mate Wink
well, i replied but it said my post needed moderating, seems no-one has taken a look at it...i posted a link to my tv model (toshiba 47WLT66) i guess that was what made it need moderating

poofyhairguy Wrote:What the post above me said.

Not sure what you mean by calibrating my display? The TV itself? or something in XBMC?

furii Wrote:what is your tv model? since you keep saying 1080i chances are it's not 1080p and therefore you won't get a 1920x1080 resolution. i'm willing to bet it's a 720p tv running 1366x768 or something of the sort and that's why live is showing you the resolutions it is. just because windows says it's displaying at 1080i (which isn't a resolution btw) doesn't mean it really is. windows may be transmitting 1920x1080 but since your tv doesn't have the pixels it is downscaling the image.

It is not a 1080p TV, it runs up to 1080i but that doesnt mean it wont get 1920x1080. My TV definitely does have 1920x1080 pixels (i was very careful when buying it to avoid those Huh?x768 TVs that "claimed" to be full HD)
As i mentioned further up, post with links claim they need to be moderated so i cant link you to it but a quick google search for a Toshiba 47WLT66 will show that it does indeed have 1920x1080 pixels

I'll give the USB thing a try. Thanks for the advice guys Wink XBMC looks great so I hope i can get it working properly

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
video modes question0