ZOTAC MAG HD-ND01 optical SPDIF
I've just received a ZOTAC MAG HD-ND01, I'm planning to install XBMC Live on it....I've found this post in the ZOTAC Blog to enable 8-channel LPCM output audio.

I'm planning to use HDMI just for video and use the SPDIF Optical output to connect it to my home theater system.

My question is, will SPDIF audio work out of the box with XBMC LIVE 9.11 and my ZOTAC MAGHuh

thanks in advance
Are you using a remote control? Which one works fine?
I've this one (HAPPAUGE MCE REMOTE) and works just fine.

Please can we stay in the topic? Anyone using optical audio?
^tWiSt^, I have the same box as you with the same set-up (video over HDMI and audio over SPDIF optical).

I couldn't get the audio to work perfectly on a fresh install of ubuntu 10.04 (I could get system sound, music and sound for videos encoded in MP3, but no sound in movies with multi-channel audio; OR I could get multi-channel sound working, but couldn't get system sounds, music and videos encoded with MP3). It was always one or the other, and I would have to do a manual conifg to switch between the two. This is probably has more to do with the fact that I'm an idiot, rather than a real limitation, but I couldn't figure it out.

I am going to remake the box with the Ion-Optimized Version of XBMC Live tonight and see how it works. Will let you know.
I'm running 10.04 with HDMI video and SPD/IF Optical to a receiver. All sound works fine, including DTS passthrough, etc.

I'm running XMBC 9.11 I believe, whichever is the non-svn PPA repository version.

I had no problems whatsoever in getting it to work. Once gnome was up and running, I went into the sound preferences app, and changed the settings to use the digital iec9** output.
mduro Wrote:^tWiSt^, I have the same box as you with the same set-up (video over HDMI and audio over SPDIF optical).

I couldn't get the audio to work perfectly on a fresh install of ubuntu 10.04 (I could get system sound, music and sound for videos encoded in MP3, but no sound in movies with multi-channel audio; OR I could get multi-channel sound working, but couldn't get system sounds, music and videos encoded with MP3). It was always one or the other, and I would have to do a manual conifg to switch between the two. This is probably has more to do with the fact that I'm an idiot, rather than a real limitation, but I couldn't figure it out.

I am going to remake the box with the Ion-Optimized Version of XBMC Live tonight and see how it works. Will let you know.

Thanks mduro, today I've also installed the XBMCFreak optimized version (v14). At the moment my home theater system isn't working so I can't test right now the spdif audio. All I can say for now is that this optimized version rocks, everything works out of the box w/out any tweaking. As soon as my home theater system will be replaced I can test also the optical audio. Please let us know your results....
For some reason, everytime the LIVE install process kicked off from the USB drive, my keyboard became unresponsive, so I couldn't select a language and couldn't proceed with the install.

Since that approach failed and I didn't have another keyboard kicking around, I started fiddling around with my current install, doing a few different things including purging Pulseaudio.

I now have it at the point where I can play ALL audio types within XBMC over SPDIF optical, confirmed over multiple reboots. I don't, however, get the XBMC menu navigation sounds (not a huge deal). I do get the Ubuntu start-up sound, but I don't get any more Ubuntu system sounds after that. And I can't play audio outside of XBMC.

Weird.
mduro Wrote:For some reason, everytime the LIVE install process kicked off from the USB drive, my keyboard became unresponsive, so I couldn't select a language and couldn't proceed with the install.

Since that approach failed and I didn't have another keyboard kicking around, I started fiddling around with my current install, doing a few different things including purging Pulseaudio.

I now have it at the point where I can play ALL audio types within XBMC over SPDIF optical, confirmed over multiple reboots. I don't, however, get the XBMC menu navigation sounds (not a huge deal). I do get the Ubuntu start-up sound, but I don't get any more Ubuntu system sounds after that. And I can't play audio outside of XBMC.

Weird.

today I'll test my XBMC LIVE optimized for ION installation with another audio system.

I'll let you know if SPDIF audio is working....
tested spdif audio....

....movies sound works, menu navigation doesn't (not a big deal)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ZOTAC MAG HD-ND01 optical SPDIF0