the purpose of xbmc?
The latest available nightly build from svn can be found here:
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/

It would be interesting to know if it's any better.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
bdaniel7 Wrote:I tried to play an mp3 and I got this:
"---------------------------
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
---------------------------
Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe

R6034
An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

The mp3 played, however I lost control of xbmc and I had to shut it down from task manager.

All these being said, again, what's the purpose of xbmc?

Daniel

1. If you did not do this the first time then you should reinstall and make sure to install vc++ Redistributable. Sounds like your error is related to that.

2. The purpose of XBMC is to make your friends jealous.
Wow, nice first post indeed Rolleyes

The purpose I guess is to be the ultimate media center that will make your wife agree to have a computer in your living room.

But beware, it's also possibly one of the geekiest project of all times.

You think you get it ... Too bad, not really.
There will always be something new (and exciting) coming up.
So be prepared to wait, read, learn. Don't worrry you'll never get bored Laugh
bdaniel7 Wrote:@szsori: I've set up and used software with far more complex configurations, so I can't be that stupid.

That's like saying "let's split up" in a scary movie. EVERYONE knows what's going to happen next.

As to your problem, sure sounds like a Visual Runtime error to me. Reinstalling that would probably be a good first step. Also, reinstalling Windows is always fun.

Also, I assume you're already passed this stage, but here is a guide that explains XBMC, its purpose, its more simple features, and basically everything else.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...tart_Guide
Most of the playback controls in XBMC (btw, brought up with the "m" key or just moving the mouse during playback) are the standard 30 year-old symbols of "Play/Pause/Stop/Rewind...." I really doubt that anyone using a computer would need help with that since they are the same buttons used by any other media player.
But there are a number of additional controls like subtitle script, video adjustments... that may benefit from tooltips except you are not supposed to be hovering with a mouse so perhaps when you select the button with your remote a description may appear in the notification area (center-top)
Great first post. I use it to make my friends jealous, too.
bdaniel7 Wrote:Hello,

I have downloaded xbmc for windows, to see what's all the fuss about it.
I have a Dell M4400, quad core @ 2,5Ghz with Windows 7 x64.
After install, I have started xbmc and started to add files to its library, video, music, pictures.
Then I wanted to play the video, but absolutely no video file could be played.
I have several x264.720p.AC3 files with mkv extension and some other files with avi, mp4 extensions but when I want to play them, I get only the audio. No video at all.
All the above files play nicely without any problem on my default player (Media Player Classic - Home Cinema)
I tried to skip forward and backward, there were no controls to let me do it.
I tried to change volume, up and down. No controls for this.
The buttons in the play mode have no tooltip whatsoever about their purpose, I had to click each of them to see what happens.

I tried to play an mp3 and I got this:
"---------------------------
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
---------------------------
Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe

R6034
An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

The mp3 played, however I lost control of xbmc and I had to shut it down from task manager.

All these being said, again, what's the purpose of xbmc?

Daniel

I think the runtime error if memory serves is your computer's way of telling you to update your video card drivers.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
You guys realize the original post was just over a year ago right? The OP only has 4 total posts so I would say he is long gone by now. Only thing this post does is give us something funny to read.

Well, I guess that's a good enough reason to dust off this post.Laugh
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
Nice resurrection thunderbunny.
i remember this thread from last year........seems like yesterday, time flys too fast Sad

PS. XBMC is awesome, granted it did take me time to figure how to use it, ive now set it up to exactly how i want it and with ember this shiz is the best!
bdaniel7 Wrote:If just by installing the software, I can't get its basic functions to work, then the problem is with the software. I'm a software developer myself and I know what I'm doing.
Of all the software I use, this was the most disappointing relative to its fame.

I used latest stable version, 9.11 aka Camleot.

@blacklist: I couldn't enjoy it at all, let alone with a remote, in a couch Laugh

@szsori: I've set up and used software with far more complex configurations, so I can't be that stupid.

You all didn't get it after this post? Too bad he/she gave up on XBMC, probably stayed with WMC.
Best part is I found it under "New Posts". Never checked the date. lol

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
the purpose of xbmc?0