Search Function
I read the faq, looked at the wiki, and searched the forums. If I somehow missed a search function in the program and/or missed an easily found thread explaining it's use or where to download a search plugin, you have my permission to call me a retard. Just be kind to the retard and point me in the right direction by linking me there. Oo

If there isn't a search function is there plans to implement one anytime soon?
Search for what exactly - local content, streaming media etc?
Local content.
It's already there. In library mode this can be achieved by pressing the left key which brings up a context menu then select search this then b.rings up the virtual keyboard.
It isn't really explained in detail, but it is there. Note the screenshot and quick description.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...ur_Library

also exists for music, this one has a little more info but i don't know how much of it applies to the video library:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Mus...ur_Library
Question 
Do Pictures or Music have a library mode? I can get into the one for videos but not for pictures or music.

[Edit]: Sorry, Just saw the 4th post.
Question 
Is there a way to add pictures to the library so I can search them as well? Maybe a plug-in?
just as an update - I did add some information to the wiki about this on the Video Library page. Just seemed like it needed more explanation. I personally don't like the order the terms show up in (Genres, Actors, Directors, Name, and Plot). I would rather the name be the first item. I'll create a patch for this and submit it. If anyone else feels the same way please respond so I know I'm not crazy.
Is there a way to add a keymap to go directly to the search without navigating the menu?
Abe Froman Wrote:Is there a way to add a keymap to go directly to the search without navigating the menu?

I took a look at the wiki, and I couldn't find an Action ID for the search function so I don't think you can keymap it. If someone else can prove me wrong though I'd be happy to see how its done.
Question 
Is it possible that someone might write a search pictures plug-in for me? I was hoping to use XBMC as a media server accessing program for a NAS but I need to be able to search through hundreds of photos through the program for the one photo I may be looking for.
Alivair Wrote:Is it possible that someone might write a search pictures plug-in for me? I was hoping to use XBMC as a media server accessing program for a NAS but I need to be able to search through hundreds of photos through the program for the one photo I may be looking for.

What kind of parameters would you be searching by? Just the filename or description? XBMC will read the meta information on a picture but it doesn't store it anywhere (like in a database) like it does for music and video. That would be the big problem as far as searching I think. You'd actually have to recurse through all your pictures on the fly when you did the search instead of actually doing a query. If you are only searching by filename this might not be too bad but it wouldn't be as snappy as the video and music searches. Maybe a script that stores it's own searchable information on your pictures?
Smile 
robweber Wrote:What kind of parameters would you be searching by? Just the filename or description? XBMC will read the meta information on a picture but it doesn't store it anywhere (like in a database) like it does for music and video. That would be the big problem as far as searching I think. You'd actually have to recurse through all your pictures on the fly when you did the search instead of actually doing a query. If you are only searching by filename this might not be too bad but it wouldn't be as snappy as the video and music searches. Maybe a script that stores it's own searchable information on your pictures?

The filename is all I would need, I plan on having a set filename template that I would add pictures as to make searching easy, MM_DD_YYYY_Event_PersonName_###, or something like that. Being able to search part or all of the name would be great too, hopefully something like that exists already if it doesn't I hope someone could make one or maybe a search could be integrated with a future update.
xbmc is desperate for a search feature !
It's weird when I know what I want, but it takes 45 seconds to get there !
ouch.
ASrock Ion 330HT - XBMCFreak 10.1 Lucid LiveCD. Everything works but System sounds over HDMI.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Search Function0