Dual boot XBMCLive with Windows
I am search for a way to put XBMCLive as primary and Windows as secondary OS.

I believe it is possible but my knowledge on Linux practically noting. I did try some stuff with ubuntu but I did not get it working properly.

I use a dual core ION system.

I hope someone can help me out
Set your PC to boot from USB, then add Windows to the XBMC start menu. To do so, you have to add a Windows entry to "menu.lst", there's an example in the file.
Thanks for replying.

This could be used as fall back option but I hoped on a way that both could get installed on one hdd, is that possible?
I installed Windows 7 (NTFS file system) on my ASROCK ION 330HT then followed the install with XBMC Live (using a 10GB ext4 partition and a 5GB for swap space) on the same 320GB HDD.

When I boot the machine, I get a menu that boot XBMCLive by default after 10 seconds, or I can boot Windows if I choose to within the first 10 seconds.

I didn't have to do anything special to get this setup
Can you tell me how you did it because I tried this and did not work for me.

Some how I don't understand the working of Linux that good. I been trying for years now to understand Linux, but it wont come to me and with windows I can read an write.

Also I like to ask I did once have only XBMCLive installed on a hdd. After I made the audio thru hdmi working I tried to image the hdd so that I could put it on multiple pc's with the same hardware. But some how that did not work, XBMCLive did not work properly. With what software could I best use to image the XBMCLive partitions.
To copy an exisitng install I've just started trying the same thing. I first tried dd from the terminal and then I tried clonezilla. Clonezilla is much more user friendly but I get a grub boot problem when trying to boot from the new drive which I'm still yet to resolve. Give it a try and see if it works for you.
JaKai Wrote:To copy an exisitng install I've just started trying the same thing. I first tried dd from the terminal and then I tried clonezilla. Clonezilla is much more user friendly but I get a grub boot problem when trying to boot from the new drive which I'm still yet to resolve. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

If I am there, I will try and let you know but till than I still need to know how to put xbmclive and windows together on one disk. So I still like to know how you did it viperman3 or someone els ofcourse.
I first installed Windows 7 (64bit) on the 320GB drive. The entire drive was formatted to NTFS.

When windows7 install was completed, I had burnt the XBMC Live ISO image to CD (xbmc-9.11-live-repack.zip)

Installed it from the CD Drive and followed the onscreen options.

I setup a new partition for XBMCLive (format to ext4 and 10GB in size). Then I setup a swap partition as 5GB. Setup the user/password, etc and let the XBMCLive install complete.

Once installation was complete and the system boot, I got a menu that launches XBMC 9.11 after 10seconds countdown or I can choose to launch windows.

There was some additional tweaking I did after the Live install (setup samba, static IP, xconf.org file, IR remote driver,etc) but other than that, the dualboot setup was entirely done by the XBMCLive install. I didn't have to do anything special to get this behaviour. I have this setup running on an ASROCK 330HT system.
HI, I would also like to do a dual boot with XBMC live and Win 7. Couple of questions.

1) while selecting the parition size for XBMC Live, does it make more sense to provide max hard disk space for the XBMC live given that I need to be using a torrent client along with the Live while XBMC is being played? If I only keep 10 GB space for XBMC Live, I will have to put the downloading torrent files into a windows folder. Will it be possible while XBMC is running?

Any user guides on setting up a XBMC Live / win 7 dual boot foor a noob?
You can set what ever partition size needed for XBMCLive .. I don't use any bittorrent clients and strictly use xbmc only to watch videos.

Anything outside of media playback, I'll use my other system for bittorrent activities.
viperman3 Wrote:I first installed Windows 7 (64bit) on the 320GB drive. The entire drive was formatted to NTFS.

When windows7 install was completed, I had burnt the XBMC Live ISO image to CD (xbmc-9.11-live-repack.zip)

Installed it from the CD Drive and followed the onscreen options.

I setup a new partition for XBMCLive (format to ext4 and 10GB in size). Then I setup a swap partition as 5GB. Setup the user/password, etc and let the XBMCLive install complete.

Once installation was complete and the system boot, I got a menu that launches XBMC 9.11 after 10seconds countdown or I can choose to launch windows.

There was some additional tweaking I did after the Live install (setup samba, static IP, xconf.org file, IR remote driver,etc) but other than that, the dualboot setup was entirely done by the XBMCLive install. I didn't have to do anything special to get this behaviour. I have this setup running on an ASROCK 330HT system.

Thanks I am gone try that out. If I having problems I will ask you if you dont mind?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dual boot XBMCLive with Windows0