Zotac Zbox HD-ID11
I need some serious help with sound. I've tried everything I can think of and also tried this http://www.anandtech.com/show/3702/zotac...han-ion1/5. Nothing seems to be working for me. I can play music with no error just have no sound. I'm running alsa 1.0.23

Edit: My best friend fix this for me. Not sure what he did but whatever it was I finally have hdmi audio after working on it for about 9 hours.
Ritzie Wrote:I need some serious help with sound. I've tried everything I can think of and also tried this http://www.anandtech.com/show/3702/zotac...han-ion1/5. Nothing seems to be working for me. I can play music with no error just have no sound. I'm running alsa 1.0.23

Edit: My best friend fix this for me. Not sure what he did but whatever it was I finally have hdmi audio after working on it for about 9 hours.

/bump/ Anyone have suggestions or success stories?
hydog Wrote:/bump/ Anyone have suggestions or success stories?
I think the problem here is between nvidia & ubuntu 9.10/10.04

I have a zotac IONITX (previous model) and in that model, with 9.04 hdmi sound worked out of the box. After upgrade to 10.04 I have a lot of problems until the sound is working again via hdmi.

I did a lot of probes, but I think the solution was:
- Download latest nvidia driver from nvidia page and install them
Install from tty1, reboot and then ensure that the driver is latest version
Code:
xbmc@xbmclive:~$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module  195.36.24  Thu Apr 22 09:18:20 PDT 2010
GCC version:  gcc version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5)

- Ensure with alsamixer that all channels are unmutted
I had no sound in karmic either. He sent me the directions and this is what he did:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2

Which comes from this website:
go to the page below and then it's the second to the last code box:
http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/communit...-10-a.html

Now I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it only because it does get very warm. I was thinking how will that affect the cpu in the long run. I might changed to the AsRock Ion 330ht. Any suggestions?
Ritzie, this looks like the solution I need for my problem and I will be trying it later when I get home. I was wondering if you could share your audio settings under XBMC. Did the default or hdmi device work or did you have to enter a custom device?
I would have love to share my settings but I got rid of it because I kept it in a entertainment center and it got really warm. I do remember you have to hit f6 in alsamixer to show nvidia and in xbmc is should nvidia hdmi.
Well Ritzie, thank you very much. I finally got HDMI audio working with the zotac thanks to your thread. I had to follow all the steps to upgrade to .23 that I found through that other thread you provided, and then it worked. I'm so glad to finally have this resolved.

It does indeed run warm, but I don't think that will be an issue in my setup.
Thanks GREAT KeithLM glad I could help. I think it is a good htpc. I didn't have any problems streaming 1080p. I believe there will be great things to come from Zotac.
I'm having the same issue with no sound via hdmi out.

It's driving me nuts...i've tried about 100 things but it just won't work....if someone could write a guide i'd really appreciate it....I'd hate to have to return the box.
wonslung Wrote:I'm having the same issue with no sound via hdmi out.

It's driving me nuts...i've tried about 100 things but it just won't work....if someone could write a guide i'd really appreciate it....I'd hate to have to return the box.

Have you successfully updated alsa? That was a key thing for me. I may have done something in rc.conf or similar, I'll have to check this evening.
Fixed this for a friend of mine the other day. Had him create a file named .asoundrc in the user home directory - in his case it was xbmc as that was the logged in user. In that file I had him place the following text and save it:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}

Afterwards it worked fine. Was a Zotac mobo and he had the output set as digital and XBMC set to hdmi. I will be putting together a Zotac HD-ND01 as soon as it shows up - hopefully the setup will be similar. The model in the parent post is brand new hardware, hopefully it's supported already...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
I'm thinking about getting one as well. If your setup goes well, would you mind posting some details so the rest of us have a leg up?
This has been discussed over in the Hardware forum. These instructions worked perfectly for me. I followed them to the letter, and everything has been working perfectly.

I also just posted a guide with some additional info related to this box here.

Hope this helps. I love this box!

EDIT: I spoke a little too soon. The audio works sometimes, and is quite finicky. Still troubleshooting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac Zbox HD-ID110