xbmc-live doesn't automatically start on boot (lucid)
Hi all,

I recently performed a clean install of Lucid and xbmc-live following the XBMCbuntu guide on the wiki, using the svn ppa to install xbmc.

The install process went smoothly and XBMC was working fine at first. However, the other day I booted my PC and xbmc didn't automatically start. All I could see was a purple/maroon coloured Ubuntu splash screen.

I was able to start xbmc by SSHing in and running '/etc/init.d/xbmc-live start'. However, this should be configured to automatically start at boot time, and I've tried disabling it and re-enabling it with rcconf with no success.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Jon
'events.d' (I think that is it) has been deprecated and you have to use a different folder. Check the Ubuntu changes page for more information about this and the new folder to use. I have XBMC-Live running 100% on Lucid so it is easily possible.
The problem appears to be that my system is not setting the runlevel when booting.

Running runlevel on the command line returns 'unknown'. Running 'init 2' starts xbmc up.

I can ssh in though, so something is starting up sshd.

Hmm...
I'm having this exact same problem. Did you ever solve it?
cp_clegg Wrote:I'm having this exact same problem. Did you ever solve it?

This seems to be a common 10.04 problem per https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...bug/543506.

I'm researching an XBMC specific fix now.
I think I have it fixed. This is working for me. 10 reboot tests and all is working fine.
this requires a knowledge of VI, or use your favorite command line editor

as specified in post #61 of the above bug,
we need to remove references to "console output" in the /etc/init directory.

as root:
cd /etc/init
grep "console output" *

we will need to edit all these files to comment out the "console output" lines with a "#"
I also added a comment line so I can find the lines I removed at a later date.
The only solution that worked for me was to go old school and use the non upstart version init.d script that can be found in the xbmc-live.deb package, an additional bonus was the restoration of reboot that actually reboots.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc-live doesn't automatically start on boot (lucid)0