• 3(current)
Apple TV Performance with CrystalHD
Yeah i saw prerequisite,ATV-crystalHD is wired to a Time Capsule wich is wired to my Imac.
Last official SVN,CHD drivers,NitoTV,AFP ecc ecc,always worked fine and had several mode to connect it,SMB,Terminal and AFP ...but today i had the "bad" idea to try Linux and..stucked.
Now seems that that after reboot i am in the Black Screen of Death,didn't say Blue :p and decided to restore to 3.0.2.
Time to give up...but last question,after the partition and the half Linux installation can i install back again a new Patchstick and the rest (drivers,Nito etc) without problems?
Thx again for support!
grey Wrote:@davilla, do you use linux on atv or you're on native atv OS?
just out of curiosity. thanks.

I have four AppleTV with various things installed on them. The one in daily use is atv(linux) w/ crystalhd.
What else do you have loaded on there?
I want to follow up on my occasional 100ms drop \ Jitters which Scott did call "frame drops", but I held back from using that term only because XBMC isn’t logging any frame drops.

Turns out, my brand new 47inch Samsung state of the art television, can’t keep up with XBMC Smile If I put the TV in "game mode" all the JPG like pixilation and artifacts are gone and the “Jitters” are as well. Seems their “Motion Plus”’ technology isn’t such a “Plus” – have updated it the latest firmware, but still not resolved nad video looks odd.

Imagine you had a video of a ball rolling back and forth across the screen at a constant rate. Now imagine you see the ball accelerate and decelerate then skip – not a lot, just slightly, but enough to make you nauseous and pissed off.

Didn’t have this problem with the XBOX to the same tv so either it’s 720\1080 content or HDMI related since the XBOX was hooked up via component – Might try the AppleTV with Componeny cabels to see if it helps – if so, might just give up HDMI and then I can upgrade the appleTv to 10.06 ubuntu since I don’t have to worry about the audio over HDMI issue

HTH,
Mike Pisano
Sounds like motion blur. Does it seem like for every couple of steps forward it takes one backward? Particularly noticeable in panning shots.
No, it's not at all like that - Must say normal TV is fine from cable, I've seen motion blur on other sets, typical football stadium pan shot - this is more like the TV trying to do too much and giving up.

Let me also document that this is a Samsung UN46C6800, which is the latest of the non 3D backlit LCD LED TV that they have in their "C-Series" - The built in Yahoo, app store with Netflix and Blockbuster is nice, but I really wish the ARM port of XBMC would make its way right into this baby Smile

Let me also add the reason I switched on "Game mode" was i exited XBMC out to a Linux prompt on the Apple TV and the text on the screen was like a bad JPG. If I did an "LS" command the directory would scroll really strange and then stop, but never did a final scan of the screen cleaning up the image to what would be legible text. Gaming mode seems to fix this, but there might be other settings as well and the menus and features are vast. Now I can switch on\off this "feature" and see the "jitter" go away. Must also add there does seem to be a very-very high speed refresh flicker (guessing 120hz) when "Gaming Mode" is on, but it's barely noticeable better then other jitter phenomena

For now I have comfort in the fact that it’s not the AppleTV or XBMC, especially since the recent public announcement of the salute to XBOX and the birth of XBMC4XBOX, (agree its time, but sad). I've been looking for a new platform and although initially discouraged, still think AppleTV under Linux will work until a cheaper ION type platform is available.

Also, for anyone following this thread from the beginning, my most recent post of the stuttering being part of a Samsung issue – this is NOT related to the initial inability for the AppleTV under OSX with Crystal to play smoothly. My AppleTV under OSX could not cleanly play content that the XBOX could, this was the Samsung stuttering. The AppleTV also until I switch to Linux couldn’t play 720p\1080 content without clearly dropping frames and depleting play buffers with or without the crystal board installed. The repartitioning and upgrading of the AppleTV to also run Linux fixed everything and is still the only reason the AppleTV is not a Frisbee right now. (I might be throwing the new Samsung....)

Regards,
Mike Pisano
Are there any chances this trouble to be solved? Still any video with FPS around 60 can't be watched.
For me this is very important and reason to refuse from using Apple Tv at all.
Mike Pisano Wrote:No, it's not at all like that - Must say normal TV is fine from cable, I've seen motion blur on other sets, typical football stadium pan shot - this is more like the TV trying to do too much and giving up.

Let me also document that this is a Samsung UN46C6800, which is the latest of the non 3D backlit LCD LED TV that they have in their "C-Series" - The built in Yahoo, app store with Netflix and Blockbuster is nice, but I really wish the ARM port of XBMC would make its way right into this baby Smile

Let me also add the reason I switched on "Game mode" was i exited XBMC out to a Linux prompt on the Apple TV and the text on the screen was like a bad JPG. If I did an "LS" command the directory would scroll really strange and then stop, but never did a final scan of the screen cleaning up the image to what would be legible text. Gaming mode seems to fix this, but there might be other settings as well and the menus and features are vast. Now I can switch on\off this "feature" and see the "jitter" go away. Must also add there does seem to be a very-very high speed refresh flicker (guessing 120hz) when "Gaming Mode" is on, but it's barely noticeable better then other jitter phenomena

For now I have comfort in the fact that it’s not the AppleTV or XBMC, especially since the recent public announcement of the salute to XBOX and the birth of XBMC4XBOX, (agree its time, but sad). I've been looking for a new platform and although initially discouraged, still think AppleTV under Linux will work until a cheaper ION type platform is available.

Also, for anyone following this thread from the beginning, my most recent post of the stuttering being part of a Samsung issue – this is NOT related to the initial inability for the AppleTV under OSX with Crystal to play smoothly. My AppleTV under OSX could not cleanly play content that the XBOX could, this was the Samsung stuttering. The AppleTV also until I switch to Linux couldn’t play 720p\1080 content without clearly dropping frames and depleting play buffers with or without the crystal board installed. The repartitioning and upgrading of the AppleTV to also run Linux fixed everything and is still the only reason the AppleTV is not a Frisbee right now. (I might be throwing the new Samsung....)

Regards,
Mike Pisano

A lot of LCD Tvs have problems with 24 fps content as they fail cadence detection. In that case you see no frames dropped by XBMC but by the display...
If indeed your set is having issues with 24p mode, turn off "Match refresh rate of video" in XBMC settings and it should resolve, but as a result of this you could get some teardown judder!
Thanks Sam,

I stared playing with the video settings;

Seems if I set "Sync to Display" or "Match refresh rate of video" the problem gets 99% better. I did see one or two stutters over a ten minute period with Sync, and didn’t see any problems with "Match" except when starting a movie the screen gets a magenta cast for a sec (also gets this cast while Linux is booting just prior to X starting. When stopping, the Samsung seems to get totally lost, at first I thought the Apple TV locked up, but if I power cycle the display the video comes back. I guess I’ll stick with “Sync” for right now maybe this problem with “Match” is addressed in the current SVN (Still running the last frozen nightly from March)

Thanks again for the suggestion,
Regards,
Mike
Get rid of pink screen by setting HDMI Colour Spectrum/Output to RGB LOW and res to 1080p
I am running r28256 with CrystalHD installed, and until I deselected "match", I couldn't watch any HD content. Once deselected, I was able to watch all of my HD content (1080p, mp4, h264, [email protected], some up to five reference frames) without a hitch. It was an "a-ha" moment when I shut that off. XBMC now maintains a consistent 24 FPS even while watching 3+ hours of Avatar in 1080p. Albeit, there is under 10mb of memory free during the process and CPU usage is above 70%. But who cares, it works great.

Thanks davilla for all of you're hard work making this happen.
Thanks Andy for your installer.
Maybe a tip, i've compiled davilla's crystal hd driver r95 from svn and it's doing imho a better job than the released 1.0.3 version.

Maybe Davilla himself can comment on this.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV Performance with CrystalHD0