Feedback for an Open Source Fund Rasing Template
I'm curious if people, especially people involved with XBMC development could give me feedback on this: http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddrrgv5m_2dw5f7rck

It's kind of a formal proposal with a couple of mark-ups to try to give an idea of how it will look.

Basically, I want to develop something where projects can raise money for the project as a whole of for specific development areas/different categories of project needs. I think it could be good as a way to raise money and present the project and its goals in a way that's easier for a user to engage than the forums or development channels. I'll leave it at that for now and stick around in case anyone has any questions/interest/ideas/comments. Thanks a lot, and I apologize if this is the wrong place to put this, but I want to get some feedback before I dive into this.

I like the idea, as a guy that donates a fair bit of cash to open source projects i think it would be really useful to see where the money is going and to allocate it to specific sub projects.
theuni Wrote:This has been discussed ad infinitum and we have decided on each occasion not do it. In theory it's a nice idea, but it's one that doesn't pan out in practice (with our program/community anyway).

If you really wish to discuss this, please do it in appropriate section of the forum. This is meant for dev only.

TheUni

akr884 Wrote:Sorry to butt in here. I knew this wasn't the place for it, but I'm a little desperate for feedback before I try to develop this idea.

Would you mind if I copied what you said over to the thread I have on the general topics forum before you moderate my comments into oblivion?

And just for the record, I think it would be an idea I would want to talk to sourceforge or some meta-project about so that individual projects could put in place with minimal effort - so that each project wouldn't have to re-invent the wheel and maintain their system. Just trying to get feedback here because I use XBMC a lot and really appreciate the work that you all do.

FYI, Sourceforge already has a donations module available for each project. We are opted out, as we manage donations on our website instead.

TheUni
I've looked through a few of the most popular sourceforge projects, and maybe it's just how the projects choose to use the donate module, but the module doesn't look like anything more than a donate button. I don't know if you have a couple of minutes to check out the mark-ups I made, but the idea I have is for a module that could be expandable and take in donations for xbmc as well as all of the projects and possible development ideas that integrate into xbmc.

The thing that I see is that the donate button and even announcements on the front page are backward looking. I think that a donate/fund raising page that tried to raise money for extending/maintaining/optimizing the project and integrating in more plug ins and compatible devices could be a way to showcase forward looking project goals and try to get community support for specific, continued development. If you let people donate towards say, getting a controller client similar to the iPhone and Android ones onto WebOS, maybe you would get some support with people with WebOS phones as opposed to a project-wide donation button. People get to see clearly where the project is heading or thinking about heading and maybe they would be more compelled to donate towards specific goals.

I was thinking about the ways that people have historically funded art, to try to put this idea in a broader context. People can purchase a piece of art, which is the commercial exchange everyone's used to. People can give money after they've seen a free performance, which seems like the best analogy for a donate button. But people also did and do patronize the arts, funding artists that might not have even gotten off the ground, or supporting established artists to produce new works. I think that maybe the idea of individual patrons of free software could have a place between for-profit businesses and volunteer enthusiasts in developing these projects.

Does that sound at all compelling?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Feedback for an Open Source Fund Rasing Template0