"libRTMP" as a library in a iPhone project...
I need a RTMP client for one of my iPhone projects. Has any one tried to separate the libRTMP from rest of the code and just create a re-usable library?

I started doing that but running into many dependencies issues and I am worried that I may drag lot of files which are not needed.

Any help or pointers is appreciated.
I'm not sure what iphone project you're working on, but i'm quite confident that it wouldn't play nice with (L)GPL code.

Is this an iphone app? Or some kind of desktop tool?

TheUni
It is an iPhone app. What do you mean "play nice?" Do you mean from a license compatibility perspective? The libRTMP files are LGPL which seem like they could be built as a library and included into a proprietary app/platform fine. From a technical perspective, I figured it is just socket and bit shuffling code and hoped it would "just work."

Can you elaborate?

Thanks
Rajesh
First hit on google: http://huyzing.com/2009/08/24/compatibil...-the-lgpl/

TheUni
I missed on the app restrictions part (newbie to the iPhone). Do you think XBMC can make an exception here and release it under a more compatible license? I am happy to contribute and/post back any changes I make to the "libRTMP" library.
rajesh Wrote:I missed on the app restrictions part (newbie to the iPhone). Do you think XBMC can make an exception here and release it under a more compatible license? I am happy to contribute and/post back any changes I make to the "libRTMP" library.

That request, even if we could grant it, isn't going to win you many friends around here. I would seriously think about your plans before heading down a FLOSS+iPhone path.

TheUni
Note that (regardless of the license complications) if you want to use librtmp in and of itself then it's been taken on by others and is now hosted on the mplayer site. Pretty sure it's still LGPL.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

http://rtmpdump.mplayerhq.hu/

Yes, librtmp is LGPL, while the rest of the rtmpdump code remains GPL.

And as a side-note, rtmpdump and librtmp work pretty well on Android already, should be pretty easy to get them working on iPhone.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"libRTMP" as a library in a iPhone project...1