• 1(current)
[LIVE] HOW-TO Install XBMC on Lucid Mini with PCM Multichannel and Nvidia 256.25
Thumbs Up 
The most important thing for me was a PCM Multichannel output so I could play my movie's with converted DTS-MA to FLAC audio track's.
With help from the people on this forum I managed to make a perfect running configuration trough the following steps.

Before you start I want to inform you that there is now a much easier and quicker installation guide. It will let you install Dharma beta 2 (modded by XBMCFreak) with HDMI PCM support too.
You can find it here New quick install with latest drivers and features. (Dharma Beta 2)

This Guide will bring you:

Lucid Mini
Nvidia 256.25
8 channel PCM audio support
No juddering problems.

Note: Has been tested on the Acer Revo 3610

Download the lucid mini image from here.

Download unetbootin to install via usb. Open unetbootin and select diskimage and browse to the mini.iso.Choose ur usb drive and hit ok.

Boot from the usb stick and select default from the menu. Go through the install process choosing xbmc as user and password. When it asks what software to install choose openssh only.

After the reboot, you should have ubuntu installed and have a command line promt on the screen. You can continue the install via ssh if you know how.

Note: There could be a problem with Lucid that will make your boot time huge! Be patience it will start. If you have a floppy drive try to deactivate it in the bios.
Or you can try sudo rm /var/lib/ureadahead/*pack then reboot twice. This could speed up your boot time. (This didn't fixed the problem for me and still looking for a solution)

Login with user/pass: xbmc/xbmc

First install the Helper Tool used when compiling applications and libraries.

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config

Now make your choice if you would like to install the 1. pvr-testing2 (unstable), 2. ppa (nightly) or 3. XBMC stable release.

1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:henningpingel/xbmc
2. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc-svn/ppa
3. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc

Let's make a system update.

sudo apt-get update

Then we install the needed applications. (X server, Admin package for Also&OSS, Alsa driver configuration, Binutils, GGC, Power managment, udisk, policykit, XBMC audio)

sudo apt-get install xbmc xinit x11-xserver-utils linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils binutils gcc upower udisks pm-utils policykit

sudo usermod -a -G audio xbmc

Now we going to download and install the Nvidia 265.25 drivers.

wget http://uk.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...5-pkg1.run

sudo chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.25-pkg1.run

This next step will make the Nvidia 256.25 driver installation work. (Fixes the nvidia.ko error that is caused by the improperly configured kernel source)

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Add the following lines at the end of the script. PAY ATTENTION : Add a empty line behind blacklist rivatv

blacklist vga16fb
blacklist nouveau
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivatv

sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*

sudo shutdown -r now

sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.25-pkg1.run

Then we will generate a xorg.conf file and put it on the right place.

sudo nvidia-xconfig -s --no-logo --force-generate --output-xconfig=/etc/X11/xorg.conf
You could also try the How to achieve judder free perfectly synced playback guide. But I advice you to do this only if you run into juddering problems after finishing all the steps.

Start the Alsa Mixer.

alsamixer

Unmute all iec and spdif (Hit m so they turn green)

Like this:

The next two files will fix the wrong channel mapping of multi-channel PCM.

sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=f5f9654bb -O /etc/asound.conf

sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=f2e38265 -O /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf

Test if the X server will run. End it with Ctrl + C if it's done.

xinit xbmc

And the most important step of all installing the XBMC-LIVE.

sudo apt-get install xbmc-live

sudo reboot

Installation is finished, now pray that it will start and take a look at the following settings.

Update: If you like to install the latest Nvidia driver 256.44 you can follow the next steps. Don't forget to remove the added blacklist names otherwise it will not work

wget http://uk.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...256.44.run
sudo chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.44.run
/etc/init.d/xbmc-live stop
sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.44.run
sudo reboot

Change output to digital, speaker configuration to 5.1 and audio output device and pass-through to HDMI.
If you want PCM multichannel, for example FLAC (HD audio) and let XBMC directly bitstream this over HDMI turn off the Dolby digital capable receiver in audio settings.

If you experience any problems with juddering you can try disabling Dolby and DTS in audio settings and turn on sync playback to display (re sample audio or you can try one of the other option's, more information about this is written below) also you can try disable "adjust refresh rate to match video" in video settings.

A/V sync method [Audio Clock, Video Clock(resample audio) or Video Clock(Drop/Dupe Audio)]
Audio has to stay in sync, this can either be done by resampling, skipping/duplicating packets, or adjusting the clock if it gets out of sync too far. Resampling has the advantage that the speed of the video can be changed considerably, so 24 fps can be sped up to 25 fps to play at PAL speed. The disadvantage of resampling is that it doesn't work with passthrough, and there is a slight loss of audio quality. Skipping/duplicating audiopackets has no loss of audio quality, but the speed of the video can only be changed a little to avoid doing a skip/duplication too often, most of the time it's inaudible, but it can produce a very audible click. Adjusting the clock has the best audioquality, but some extra video jitter can occur, also the speed of the video can't change much, as the audio will sync the clock more often the more the speed of the video is changed.

Special thanks to Harryzimm for making this installation clear and the XBMC developers for this amazing piece of software!

Greetings,
Roelio
Media player: Xtreamer Ultra 2 XBMC v13 RC 1 Gotham, iPhone 4s & iPad mini Retina
LCD: Sony KDL-46HX920 - Receiver: Onkyo TX-R577 - Speakers: Mission e34 5.1 & MS10 - Remote: Harmony Smart Control
Router: Asus RT-N66U - NAS: Synology DS1512+ 15 TB - PC: Intel I7 @4.5 Ghz HD7950 3GB
Thank you very much. My greatest hope now is that whoever is in charge of making the next set of XBMC Live disks see this, so that we can get working multichannel audio out of the box....
That indeed would be great! And maybe add a option so you can choose how you want to put out the signal.
Media player: Xtreamer Ultra 2 XBMC v13 RC 1 Gotham, iPhone 4s & iPad mini Retina
LCD: Sony KDL-46HX920 - Receiver: Onkyo TX-R577 - Speakers: Mission e34 5.1 & MS10 - Remote: Harmony Smart Control
Router: Asus RT-N66U - NAS: Synology DS1512+ 15 TB - PC: Intel I7 @4.5 Ghz HD7950 3GB
Excelent work there Big Grin
Just a tip. If you would rather install xbmc from the svn ppa (nightly) and not the pvr-testing2 branch, replace:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:henningpingel/xbmc

with

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc-svn/ppa

If you would rather install the latest stable release of xbmc. Replace the same line with

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc

cheers

Edit: Just to add, this guide assumes you installed lucid mini using xbmc as username.
i like this asound.cofn as it gives navigation sounds too:

Code:
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=bs0mjzqW -O /etc/asound.conf

i'm installing a minimal install now. thanks very much for this!
The asound.conf from the guide gives me navigation sounds. Does it not work for you?

cheers
i'll let you know in a few mins
you're right, it does. my mistake.

sorry.
Thanks for the info Harryzimm. I updated the main script and put some explanation to it.

Let me know if I can add or change something.
Just wanted to double check that this will only work for the mini version of Ubuntu right?
Lucid Mini or server versions are good. most parts could be used on a full desktop version though. If you boot to a command line in safe mode you can go through the guide although most of the deps are allready installed. Make sure you remove pulseaudio as first.

Code:
sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio

remember to replace xbmc with your username

Code:
sudo usermod -a -G audio username

Do not install xbmc-live on a full desktop

I have not tested this on a desktop version

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
Fantastic guide, got 5.1 FLAC decoded to 5.1 PCM lovelyness in all of 5 mins after installing ubunutu mini. After months of pissing around with no decent results.

This should be a sticky!

Thanks to harryzimm especially for the correct steps and Roelio super to the point guide Smile

Thanx a bunch! Big Grin
Your Welcome ! And yeah it's a great guide Big Grin

Still looking for a way to fix my insane long boot time Wink Someone else experience this too?
Roelio Wrote:Your Welcome ! And yeah it's a great guide Big Grin

Still looking for a way to fix my insane long boot time Wink Someone else experience this too?

Nope can't say it's taking any longer than with standard XBMC linux live install.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO Install XBMC on Lucid Mini with PCM Multichannel and Nvidia 256.256