How Does XBMC determine and flag HD vs SD content
I have started using XBMC now for like 2 weeks ago and got my XBMC dedicated Htpc 2 days ago (Asrock 330HT) and have been busy fixing my movie collection, ripping dvds.
I am also using the new fantastic theme Legacy Dark.
What i can read on this forum, it seems like many people rips blu-ray (don't own any my self yet) and dvd's (as i do), and that it should say stuff like 1080p and BluRay in the mod (mediaflags).

Now here's the question:

What does the mediaflags check after in the movie file too see if it's 1080p or 720p etc...?

To get that flag, do you need to rip your bluray in high quality? (5-10gig?)

As i said i am only ripping DVD's yet, i use Handbrake for it.
I use quite good settings (1800 bitrate, Anamorphic Res Loose), i don't need better quality, and i save space.
So in XBMC it shows that i have SD quality on all my movies, can i get any higher with dvd ripping (higher settings etc.)?

Thx to all who answers Smile
Anyone?
You could mod your skin so it just always shows HD, but technically DVDs are SD and so it shows as SD. If you rip bluerays as long as you dont scale them down it should say HD, because (I think) XBMC goes by resolution of the video (what makes sense).
I don't want it to show HD if it isn't, just curious to know.
I believe it follows some kind of check chain. Is the width 1920 or 1280 pixels wide? If yes, HD, if no, is the height 1080 or 720? If yes, hd, if no, etc.
Yeah... for some reason it recognizes pretty much any SD xvid file I have as 480, even though most of them are less than that...
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
Cyb3rH4Xter Wrote:What does the mediaflags check after in the movie file too see if it's 1080p or 720p etc...?

clock2113 Wrote:Yeah... for some reason it recognizes pretty much any SD xvid file I have as 480, even though most of them are less than that...

from the xbmc sourcecode:
Code:
if (iWidth == 0)
    return "";

else if (iWidth < 721)
    return "480";
  // 960x540
  else if (iWidth < 961)
    return "540";
  // 1280x720
  else if (iWidth < 1281)
    return "720";
  // 1920x1080
  else
    return "1080";

so it only looks at the width of a movie and returns either 480,540,720 or 1080.

next it's up to the skin what to do with this info. some might just display these values, while others may use 'SD' to represent 480 and 540 material.

oh, DVD rips will always be SD, no matter how "good" your settings are. ;-)
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
big thx for clarification Ronie Big Grin
btw, that code looks like C#.....
Thanks for the info Ronie, most helpful! Smile
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How Does XBMC determine and flag HD vs SD content0