[LIVE] Can't access Windows Shares
I got a Revo 1600 last week, and it's been an absolute nightmare trying to get it setup. I've been scouring these forums for tons of info. Some of it has been easy to come by and I've learned from it, while I'm clueless on how to remedy certain problems.

I've done about 5 or 6 different installs and can't get one to work flawlessly.

I followed these two guides, the first one being what I currently have setup:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53888
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=73792

The main problem that I'm having is I want to use my main Windows 7 PC and it's external drives as a media server. I have installed Samba on the Revo, and I can't seem to connect to my Windows Share (the external harddrive). When I go to Video>Add Source>SMB>Workgroup>My main PC, I get the message "Error: Function not implemented." What's that about, and what can I do to fix this?

I have honestly tried searching and learning, but I can't seem to get a step ahead. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The only way I could get Win7 shares to work is via a manual or fstab mount, like

Code:
mount.cifs //<server>/<share> /<mount> -o file_mode=0644,dir_mode=0755,credentials=<file>

The cred. file should be in the format:

Code:
username=<username>
password=<password>

of the Windows user.
Hopefully I can give that a try soon. Can you give me an example of what you would put in all those <examples>? What would you put for server, media, file, etc? I'm mostly concerned with how to properly format it, as I'm a complete noob to all of this. Thanks a ton.
Also, what is the cred file?
Screw it, just did a Windows 7 install and XBMC runs 1080p smoothly. Not sure why you would want the Linux/Live version unless you were concerned with startup time, which I'm not as my Revo stays on.
Cerebrex Wrote:Screw it, just did a Windows 7 install and XBMC runs 1080p smoothly. Not sure why you would want the Linux/Live version unless you were concerned with startup time, which I'm not as my Revo stays on.

Because you have to pay for Windows 7.

FWIW, I documented what I did to manually mount my Win7 shares in Live, and I think I still have my notes at home. I'll post them up for your later if you're interested.
SMB shares "function not implemented" error in camelot maybe?

(1st link from http://www.google.de/search?hl=en&client...nted+samba)
Vero 4k+ | OSMC Kodi 19.1
Sony KD-65A1
try to add the share manually in the add sources section:

Code:
smb://user:password@server-ip

or

Code:
smb://user:password@server-ip/share
just mount the folders direct from within /etc/fstab
when using the smb options in xbmc I had often that the files only played a few seconds and stopped.
when just mounting them to a directory I had no probs.
XBMC 9.11 has smb problems with Windows 7.

When the new XBMC Live comes out, this is all fixed.
Cerebrex Wrote:Not sure why you would want the Linux/Live version

It is nice to have something that works like an other media appliances (like my Blu Ray player, Direct TV box, etc) for the Ms.
poofyhairguy Wrote:It is nice to have something that works like an other media appliances (like my Blu Ray player, Direct TV box, etc) for the Ms.

And many of us never share information from Windows (especially Windows 7) shares.
Hi All,

The problem is not Windows 7, but Windows Live Essentials: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76879

Once Live Essentials 2011 is uninstalled, XBMC's SMB will work like a charm.
With previous versions (Messenger 14) the problem was "Windows Live - sign in assistant", but M$ has fixed it in 14.0.8117.416 (wasn't XBMC who fixed: it simple starts to work with a Messenger update to this version).
Anyway, f you still running Messenger 14 and can't access the shares, try to uninstall sign in assistant and see if will work. It worked for me for months, until 2011.

Now looks like the problem is back with Windows Live Essentials 2011.

Cheers.
When is there going to be a fix Huh? this is ridiculous!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this will work
Add Network Location and add:
smb://(your computer name)/

example:
smb://COMPUTER-PC/

making sure you have your folders that you want to share set to allow everyone
and your firewall is set to allow the ip address of xbmc

It's fairly simple!
Press THANK USER if I Help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Can't access Windows Shares0