[LIVE] Can't access Windows Shares
The issue seems to be related to the the following bug:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/xbmc4xbox/ticket/82
It seems to be have resolved for the xbmc4xbox project, has this patch been applied for this project?
@ AuXBoX: thanks for the workaround, but I'm not very excited to remove all access control and security from my windows shares.

@ Method1: I'm not sure if this was really a fix or a coincidence. The last revision from Messenger doesn't give any problem to XBMC, even to versions earlier than SVN 30536. In my opinion, wasn't the fix that make XBMC access a Windows computer with "Windows Live Sign-in Assistant" installed, but the "Windows Live Sign-in Assistant" itself. I installed a very old XBMC to my XBOX and I can access any share at any computer running "Windows Live Sign-in Assistant" and Messenger 14.0.8117.416 (the problem occurs with an older Messenger revision). So, I must conclude it was a fix from M$ and not from XBMC.
Anyway, the problem is now related to Essentials 2011 (15.x), and different from that one, claimed to be fix in SVN 30536. Live Essentials 2011 doesn't have Live Sing-In Assistant anymore, so, you can't simple uninstall it to get access to the shares. Our options are: 1. remove all Live Essentials 2011 (including Messenger)=; 2. give up from streaming from XBMC; or 3. remove all security like AuXBoX's workaround (didn't test this one).

Let's cross our fingers and hope to be a fix before Dharma hit "stable" status.
AuXBoX Wrote:this will work
Add Network Location and add:
smb://(your computer name)/

example:
smb://COMPUTER-PC/

making sure you have your folders that you want to share set to allow everyone
and your firewall is set to allow the ip address of xbmc

It's fairly simple!

Don't work ....still comes up with lock screen:mad:
I have spent last 5 hours trying to make this work without success.
I do have Windows Live Essentials 2011 installed and how not tried to uninstall it as it is very important for me.
As method1 wrote there was a possible fix in http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/xbmc4xbox/ticket/82
Is this incorporporated in latest dharma builds?

I have also tried smb://COMPUTER-PC/ but it still asks for password.

I have found that this is a big problem and samba.org has made recently a patch. The link is here:

https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7577

However, this has to be incorporated in xbmc live....
PLEASE FIX THIS AS IT IS AN IMPORTANT ISSUE!!!
what versions of xbmc are you using?
I've been doing this method for quite some time.
With version 9.11 you will have to add the following to the sources.list
Code:
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
and then
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Press THANK USER if I Help
AuXBoX Wrote:what versions of xbmc are you using?
I've been doing this method for quite some time.
With version 9.11 you will have to add the following to the sources.list
Code:
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
and then
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
I was running a Dharma SVN compiled last week (updating daily), but now I'm back to official beta2 package, installed through ppa.
This new version of Live Essentials 2011 issue has nothing to do with Live ID Sign-in Assistant from past Messenger version. Mine works with the old version, but not with this one.

In time, I opened a ticket, but didn't get much attention: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10404

Cheers.
It is definetley something with xbmc or ubuntu. I can access win7 shares from another xp machine and also from popcorn hour which is also linux.
I dont know linux well, could somebody try if the shares can be accessed from command line and not through xbmc?
This is quite a big showstopper bug in my opinion and it should be fixed until final release of Dharma. This way it is pretty worthless.
ptodic Wrote:It is definetley something with xbmc or ubuntu. I can access win7 shares from another xp machine and also from popcorn hour which is also linux.
I dont know linux well, could somebody try if the shares can be accessed from command line and not through xbmc?
This is quite a big showstopper bug in my opinion and it should be fixed until final release of Dharma. This way it is pretty worthless.

Is something with XBMC. I have this problem with XBOX XBMC too.

Cheers.
FireMan Wrote:Is something with XBMC. I have this problem with XBOX XBMC too.

Cheers.

I will try with xbox today. I have moved yesterday from XP to Windows 7 to find out this horror that the shares are not working.

One question, which program from Windows Live Essential 2011 is corrupting samba? I only use Mail and Messenger. I can do without Messenger but mail is essential.
ptodic Wrote:I will try with xbox today. I have moved yesterday from XP to Windows 7 to find out this horror that the shares are not working.

One question, which program from Windows Live Essential 2011 is corrupting samba? I only use Mail and Messenger. I can do without Messenger but mail is essential.

Hi,
Samba is not a problem and is not being corrupt by Live2011. Samba is working with or without Live 2011. The problem is only with XBMC "internal" streaming.
If you use linux's samba, you can mount your shares using samba. It will work, but you need to have some linux skills and rebuild your collection (just to point to the new location).
FireMan Wrote:Hi,
Samba is not a problem and is not being corrupt by Live2011. Samba is working with or without Live 2011. The problem is only with XBMC "internal" streaming.
If you use linux's samba, you can mount your shares using samba. It will work, but you need to have some linux skills and rebuild your collection (just to point to the new location).

Can you please give me some examples how to do it. I think it would help quite a few people. (I guess I have to edit sources.xml and some linux startup file)

I have tried this:

root@XBMCLive:~# mount -t cifs //asusg1s/c /mnt/asusc -o username="James Bond",password=Agent007,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //asusg1s/c,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
(for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

and it does not work.

Thank you.
ptodic Wrote:Can you please give me some examples how to do it. I think it would help quite a few people. (I guess I have to edit sources.xml and some linux startup file)

I have tried this:

root@XBMCLive:~# mount -t cifs //asusg1s/c /mnt/asusc -o username="James Bond",password=Agent007,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //asusg1s/c,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
(for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

and it does not work.

Thank you.

Hi,

1st, you need to be sure you have all packages needed to mount windows sharres:
Code:
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install smbfs smbclient libsmbclient -y

Second, you must create local mount point:

Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/asusc

Then, try to lose the file and dir mode, just to test:

Code:
sudo mount.cifs //asusg1s/c /mnt/asusc -o username="James Bond",password=Agent007,iocharset=utf8

Of course, you need to have a share called "c" @ asusg1s, accessable by James Bond.

After test it, you can add the proper line to fstab to mount the share every boot.
To replicate the above command, you must insert to /etc/fstab something like (preferably, as the last line):

Code:
//asusg1s/c /mnt/asusc smbfs defaults,username="James Bond",password=Agent007,iocharset=utf8 0       0

Cheers.
Thank you FireMan!

You are my hero. Wink

It seems that this is a nice workaround until the proper patch in XBMC is made.
I still think this is a showstopper bug and it has to be fixed in final Dharma release.
Where should we push the buttons for this to be made?
Hey FireMan,

it works if I mount it manually, like you have written, however it doesent mount it automatically from /etc/fstab with the command you have provided:

Code:
//asusg1s/c /mnt/asusc smbfs defaults,username="James Bond",password=Agent007,iocharset=utf8 0       0

Do you have some other suggestion what may be wrong?
Hi again ptodic,

Sorry, my mistake when copy/past the user data. In fstab the right is user and not username. Try:

Code:
//asusg1s/c /mnt/asusc smbfs defaults,user="James Bond",password=Agent007,iocharset=utf8 0       0

Also, I recomend a different mount point then /mnt or /media. Try something like /shares or /windows etc.

You will see, the use of linux smb instead of XBMC has many advantages. Faster, more stable etc. The only problems are: remote share computer must be turned on before XBMC and shutdown after (to auto mount/umount), and, of course, you need to have some linux skills (not much, but some).

Cheers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Can't access Windows Shares0