[MULTI] Revo vs consoles
Apologies if this has already been dealt with, did try searching but no joy.

Currently I have a standard laptop hooked up to large HDD and plasma TV. I'm running XBMC and use that to access a library of content on the HDD, including standard XviD .avi, and .mkv/.m2ts files. Some of these also include extra subtitle files.

Now, I like the XBMC interface, but the laptop isn't quite powerful enough for perfect playback of the 1080p files I have. I'm looking to replace the laptop with an Acer Revo R3610 which I'm fairly confident will do the job I want and free up the laptop and space below the TV.

However, I also only own a Wii and am looking at getting either a Xbox 360/PS3 to fill that space below the TV. At the moment I am budgeting to splash out on both a console and the R3610, but of course I'm also looking to save money.

Would either the Xbox or PS3 be able to carry out the same job as the R3610 (which would be running XBMC)? The console would need to be able to do the following:

-playback .mkv and other compressed 1080p content - along with subtitles.
-include a menu/catalogue similar to XBMC
-use/access a 1Tb NTFS formatted HDD for media storage -I can't go down to FAT32 as some of the media files are over 4Gb
-I'm not concerned with power usage or if a little (legal) software tinkering is required.
-I'm prepared to remux files if necessary but not if it results in loss of quality. I don't have a surround sound system at present but it is something I may invest in, in the future, so I'd rather not have to demix audio to stereo which I believe is something I might have to do with a 360.
-streaming would be from a Vista machine that can just about play back 1080p content but a little jerkily. Streaming would be over a G wireless network as well.

My gut feeling is 'probably not' but I've no experience at all with either console so I thought I'd better check. Otherwise, does anyone have any experience with the R3610's gaming capabilities?

Thanks in advance.
The PS3 is the closest console to being a decent media playback device, and even then it sucks.

First of all: you have to transcode almost EVERYTHING which means a meaty backend to run PS3 media server (if your Vista box can't play 1080p it probably can't transcode it either).

Secondly: The Crossbar OS for the PS3 chokes on a large library. Ran into that personally.

Third: No interface comes close to matching XBMC, and none run XBMC and non will

Fourth: Without transcoding from another comp, the PS3 can only see FAT drives.

As far as gaming on the revo? Maybe older stuff (NES/SNES emulator anyone?). But don't kid yourself. A Revo is the slowest CPU on the market combined with a lowend GPU.

The only reason why they are so popular is because that combination is EXACTLY enough to playback HD video. I love my ION box and I would NEVER go back to my PS3 for playing video. With that said, I can't see the my ION box playing any game more complicated than a Wii can provide.

So the answer (for me) is no. Consoles and mediaboxes are separate entities, unless you build a high end HTPC (so not a Revo).

(Please note I did not even mention the 360- that is because it is worse than the Ps3 for playing video for many reasons. Also the Wii was not mentioned because lets be honest the thing is an overclocked Gamecube that has trouble with PS2 ports sometimes).

One last thing:

Both a Revo and a PS3 being a media frontend pretty much requires a decent mediaserver. I mean, you can build a large ION box (or just a Micro ATX PC) for holding media, but most of us with Revo's/ION boxes stream from a media server.

Why do I mention this? Because with ANY frontend, HD streaming will NEVER consistently work with 802.11g. Either plan to build your HTPC+Mediaserver in the same box, get 802.11n, or run some Cat 5e cable to a media server (best option). Otherwise ANY money you put into this is wasted....
DeusXM Wrote:However, I also only own a Wii and am looking at getting either a Xbox 360/PS3 to fill that space below the TV. At the moment I am budgeting to splash out on both a console and the R3610, but of course I'm also looking to save money.

You can save $100 by getting the R1600 and upgrading the RAM to 2GB yourself:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product
I'm with Satatoga on this. Get a Revo 1600 and a PS3.

I have a Xbox 360 and thought I could use it for streaming and it sucks.You will be happier If you get two instead.
Cheers for the help guys. I suspected I'd have to transcode or stream, thanks for confirming.

Think I'll go with the 3600 with HDD usb'ed in it then - solves any streaming issues. Not as slick a set-up but I've got a large storage space for the TV so all the cables would be concealed anyway.

Gonna go for the higher spec Revo as I still want to run it as a Windows 7 box (I know, I'm a pariah!) for browsing and some older gaming stuff. Heard it should be capable for the sort of things I'd play, and the sad fact is a Revo will actually be more powerful than the laptop I'm using anyway.

And I guess now this is the point where you tell me a 3600 running Win7 can't play back 1080p content......?
Edit: I mean 3610, of course.
DeusXM Wrote:And I guess now this is the point where you tell me a 3610 running Win7 can't play back 1080p content......?

well, it kinda can when using an XBMC build that supports DXVA but speed won't be on par with the XBMC live / XBMCbuntu linux installs; also afaik HDMI passthrough (Dolby/DTS) is still a problem with windows

I'd dual boot
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Just to mention, the R3610 will be fine playing older games. I played SW Knights of the old republic and max payne on it using Wine just fine.

For HDD, the revo has an e-sata port. Also replacing the hard drive isn't that hard. I have 2x2.5" 500GB in mine :-)
Hannes The Hun Wrote:well, it kinda can when using an XBMC build that supports DXVA but speed won't be on par with the XBMC live / XBMCbuntu linux installs; also afaik HDMI passthrough (Dolby/DTS) is still a problem with windows

If you have FFDshow configured correctly passthrough works in Windows. The honest truth (now that the Windows version has DXVA support) is that both Windows and XBMC Live can provide near equivalent experiences, it is just easier on XBMC Live to get a functional system.

I think a dual-core revo plus at least 2GB of ram would be good for the task. The only last thing I will say is be careful with USB HDs- they are not fast enough for really high bitrate (thing Blu Ray rips of 30+GB) content.

Otherwise, enjoy!
saratoga Wrote:You can save $100 by getting the R1600 and upgrading the RAM to 2GB yourself:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

While I agree the R1600 is a better deal (actually did what you suggested myself a few months ago) keep in mind the other things you'll be missing out by not getting the R3610. ie: windows 7 instead of xp, a wireless keyboard and mouse, wireless instead of wired, and I believe the 3610 even has a digital audio out on the front while the 1600 does not. While many of these might not be important depending on your use, still important to consider.

For myself I didn't care about windows, wanted a wired connection, don't use the keyboard or mouse, and use sound through HDMI so I didn't care; but that might not be the case with everyone.
I have two hardwired 360's in my house that play back 720p and 1080p mkv's streamed from a hardwired windows 7 box running PS3 media server. I don't have any issues. Only once or twice where I have an extremely high bitrate 1080p file have I seen any slowdown. My PS3 chokes all the time with the same setup.
davegregoire Wrote:I have two hardwired 360's in my house that play back 720p and 1080p mkv's streamed from a hardwired windows 7 box running PS3 media server. I don't have any issues.

Do you have working 5.1 DTS/AC3 passthrough? Cause if not I would say that is a pretty big issue (compared to a dedicated XBMC box).
The TV's that have the 360's do not have surround sound systems attached. They are extra bedroom/loft tv's so the surround was not important. My comment was merely to point out that compared the a ps3 for streaming, I would say the 360 is more capable and also has a better implementation of streaming services like netflix/zune pass. Compared to a proper xbmc htpc, its no contest.
davegregoire Wrote:I have two hardwired 360's in my house that play back 720p and 1080p mkv's streamed from a hardwired windows 7 box running PS3 media server. I don't have any issues. Only once or twice where I have an extremely high bitrate 1080p file have I seen any slowdown. My PS3 chokes all the time with the same setup.

2 channel audio right? Are you using a program to transcode?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MULTI] Revo vs consoles0