Updated from 9.04 to 10.04, now video tears (nvidia ION
So.... I had XMBC running great, until I decided to update linux to 10.04 on a whim.

Now, I have the remote working, the nVidia driver installed, TV at 1920x1080, HDMI Audio is working great, but I'm getting tearing (or at least what I think is tearing) in the video.

If the motion is quick there are refresh 'lines' going completely across the screen. I guess I need to know why, then how to fix.

I tried messing around with refresh rates (the only option at 1080p is like 50-52hz, which seems odd to me), tried syncing audio with all the options available, doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Anything else I could look into?
The forum is littered with people just like you.

Sorry for your loss. Rofl

We need a sticky. It would save everybody a lot of time and anguish.

Sticky: "Don't fuck with things that work right"Smile
Ha! Smile

Ok, we've had a laugh... Solution Time!
I think you need to stay on 9.04/9.10 until a new version of xbmc is released which is more targeted towards 10.04.

Or read one of the threads that spells out how to get MOST things running on 10.04.
I havent seen anyone recommending an upgrade of a HTPC. You should probably focus on re-installing.
hey mate, i had similar problems after upgrading from karmic to lucid. i tweaked a few things and now it all seems to be working smoothly.

having said that, i'm not 100% sure which particular tweak made it work!

fire up your nvidia-settings (system -> administration -> nvidia x server settings), and under 'OpenGL Settings' check "sync to vblank". do the same under 'X Server XVideo Settings' (for both video texture adapter and video blitter adapter).

then in xbmc, go to settings -> system and select "always enabled" for your vertical blank sync. then in settings -> video -> playback check 'sync playback to display'.

that (or one of those) fixed it for me, although this is an issue that comes up every time i upgrade ubuntu. hope it works for you.
mxxx Wrote:hey mate, i had similar problems after upgrading from karmic to lucid. i tweaked a few things and now it all seems to be working smoothly.

having said that, i'm not 100% sure which particular tweak made it work!

fire up your nvidia-settings (system -> administration -> nvidia x server settings), and under 'OpenGL Settings' check "sync to vblank". do the same under 'X Server XVideo Settings' (for both video texture adapter and video blitter adapter).

then in xbmc, go to settings -> system and select "always enabled" for your vertical blank sync. then in settings -> video -> playback check 'sync playback to display'.

that (or one of those) fixed it for me, although this is an issue that comes up every time i upgrade ubuntu. hope it works for you.

Perfect. I'll give all the a try first thing after work. I'll report back here
Turn off desktop effects.
disable composition in your xorg.conf..
farbird Wrote:disable composition in your xorg.conf..

Do you suppose you could elaborate por favor ?¿
Google is your friend!

heheh i always wanted to do this...

the link above will give u your answer
Unfortunately I don't know exactly what I did, but it's fixed now. I did everything listed here all at once, fixed.

10.04 with zero problems. Yippie!
I have ordered A Revo 3610 with Ubuntu 10.04 installed, and obviously i am intentioned to install XBMC, could you confirm also that the optical out works? (DD DTS AC3).
Any suggestions?

Thanks
The settings you mentioned eliminated the tearing when playing my normal XviD files.

However, I have an 9GB mkv (Green Zone) which is to be 1080p. Plays fine on my desktop PC, but on the Revo with 10.04 and these settings, it is very slow motion, like maybe 10fps, real slow. Audio is now not cutting out right away like before the settings, but after 10 seconds or so it cuts in/out and the video is just too slow (like slow motion) to watch.

Going to bring this file to my friends who has 9.10 installed, see how it works on his Revo 3610.
Install libvdpau1 from nvidia team repository.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updated from 9.04 to 10.04, now video tears (nvidia ION0