• 20(current)
Shuttle XS35
I didn't have to go through all the mount stuff because if you plug it in while xbmc live is running it will auto mount it for you (in /media/ I think). Then I did the ctrl-alt-f1 to go to terminal and copied the jme folder to my home dir then did the make install bit on it, edited /etc/network/interfaces then rebooted all worked fine
Smile 
Hi Grouper,

grouper Wrote:anyone tried the latest xbmcfreak Beta3 (vanilla or normal) on our Shuttle?

can you test: http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/Ope...60.tar.bz2

i have updated this image. wlan and sound should work.

to configure wlan (if needed) look at /storage/.config/network.conf or the network.conf in the update share. also the remote should work again.

let me know if you have problems :-)
greetings, Stephan

[quote=openelec.tv]Hi Grouper,

can you test: http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/Ope...60.tar.bz2

QUOTE]

Will do when I caome home from work this eve, thank you!
kwasimo Wrote:I looked at you blog Bossanova. Does your procedures also applies to B3? Or does it require changes, because as you describe, the procedure it is written for B2:

enable eth0
1. download & unpack the sources from ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmc2xx/Linux/ to an usb key

2. plug the usb key into the shuttle

3. mount the drive
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

4. follow the instructions in ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmc2xx/Linux/Readme.txt:
cp -r /mnt/jme-1.0.6.1 /usr/local/src/
cd /usr/local/src/jme-1.0.6.1
sudo make install

5. test the driver:
sudo modprobe jme

6. edit your /etc/network/interfaces, add something like
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

I just want to start over again with a clean installation tonight. I will only perform this procedure to make it work and start testing. I want to make sure I have the right procedure.

@Kwasimo: Did the same as you, have the same issues as you. After updateing the Nvidia drivers it got worse...
B2 was easier...

I´ll go with Openelec.tv for the moment, last version was perfect except for my remote (Hama MCE)
grouper Wrote:@Kwasimo: Did the same as you, have the same issues as you. After updateing the Nvidia drivers it got worse...
B2 was easier...

I´ll go with Openelec.tv for the moment, last version was perfect except for my remote (Hama MCE)

Hi Grouper. I decided to stay with the official XBMC Dharma beta 2 live as I managed to get pretty much everything I needed working, except resume from suspend with the remote, IIRC.

What is improved in beta 3 over beta 2?
@Froggit:

The UI is much more responsive, especially when watching a movie and switching to the UI.
Otherwise, I noticed no functional differences....
@stephan Openelec.TV:

I tried out hte last buid, MCE Remote works fine, just no sound...
I set it to HDMI/HDA Nvidia HDMI and get nothing.
Er.. How do I get started?

I have the XS35GT, i have an Intel SSD and of course the RAM.

I tried extracting the Dharma b3 to an USB stick, but it didnt seem as the XS35 had an option to boot from USB.
Next I tried to manually copy the contents of the .iso-file to the SSD, but it still didnt recognize any bootable devices.

Though, as I'm a Windows user I had to format it as NTFS. Probably not the best enviroment for a linux installation.

Any tips? any "deployment tools"? I do not have any optical drive for the XS35
grouper Wrote:@stephan Openelec.TV:

I tried out hte last buid, MCE Remote works fine, just no sound...
I set it to HDMI/HDA Nvidia HDMI and get nothing.

set it to "custom" -> "plughw:1,7", works fine here.
twinflower Wrote:Er.. How do I get started?

I tried extracting the Dharma b3 to an USB stick, but it didnt seem as the XS35 had an option to boot from USB.
Next I tried to manually copy the contents of the .iso-file to the SSD, but it still didnt recognize any bootable devices.

Though, as I'm a Windows user I had to format it as NTFS. Probably not the best enviroment for a linux installation.

you need to format it to fat (can be done by the windows formater), then use the boot stick creation tool of your choice to put the iso onto the stick. unetbootin for example does the job.
heldchen Wrote:set it to "custom" -> "plughw:1,7", works fine here.

You are absolutely right! I thought it´s based on Beta3 I should set it differently. Works like a charm, the Hama MCE is now far better supported than in Beta3 Original.

Best thanks to Stephan who did this incredibly fast booting masterpiece!
twinflower Wrote:Er.. How do I get started?

Hi twinflower, if you don't get any luck with b3 you could try b2 and use the guide here:
http://breden.org.uk/2010/09/30/shuttle-...ta-2-live/ (also contains info to make stick bootable)

Regarding booting from USB stick, I can give 3 tips:
1. Format the stick as FAT32 (I used Windows XP to do this).
2. Ensure you have set the machine to boot from USB in the XS35GT's BIOS settings, make sure the USB stick is inserted when you are in the BIOS, and ensure USB stick is the first boot device.
3. If you don't get any luck with one USB stick, try another, as one of my USB sticks also refused to boot.

If you have wireless, you'll need BIOS 1.09 which I will send you if you PM me with your email address.

Good luck!
grouper Wrote:@Froggit:

The UI is much more responsive, especially when watching a movie and switching to the UI.
Otherwise, I noticed no functional differences....

Thanks for that. I didn't notice any UI fluidity issues when watching movies, but then I maybe didn't use the UI extensively.

I also saw someone (bossanova808) mention about some differences in the brightness of the image between b2 and b3. Is it better in b3, much better?
No, the difference in brightness is to do with nvidia driver versions not b2/b3- the 260 drivers are MUCH better in this regard, no need for studio levels or brightness/contrast hacks.

All of the above is kind of overcomplicated for the Shuttle - you really just need to install B3 and add the network driver - at that point EVERYTHING works well (sound, suspend/resume, remote, video res switching, smooth ui & playback etc) - personally I think updating nvidia drivers is a good plan as the colour issues go away but it's not really essential.

(The shuttle can definitely boot from a USB stuck and pretty sure it does by default if you pop one in...but it's also v. easy to just burn a disc and boot off that).

Re" OpenElec - does it add anything functional? The standard boot is maybe 15 seconds with an SSD and if you use suspend/resume you only boot every now and again anyway, so I'm not sure I see the point in using a non standard package although I am sure it has its uses. I can't see how an MCE remote can 'work better' than it does by default in Beta3?
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
bossanova808 Wrote:Re" OpenElec - does it add anything functional? The standard boot is maybe 15 seconds with an SSD and if you use suspend/resume you only boot every now and again anyway, so I'm not sure I see the point in using a non standard package although I am sure it has its uses.

Whats standard? Ubuntu does much in an not "standard", "own" way... You can see this here in forum, much Howto's, much hacks needed for anything to get work with ubuntu. The most of this things works in OpenELEC.tv without hacking anything. And if you are looking at all the helper scripts etc which XBMC live uses... all not really "standard".

bossanova808 Wrote:I can't see how an MCE remote can 'work better' than it does by default in Beta3?

The problem here: there are true MCE remotes which uses the mceusb lirc or mceusb kernel driver, ad there are MCE called remotes, they looks like MCE remotes, but are not really MCE remotes. The HAMA MCE remote is not compatible with an true MCE remote.
greetings, Stephan

• 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shuttle XS354