• 6(current)
Shuttle XS35
Sure no probs -- how do I attach a file here?

FYI even if I give you the driver, the problem is that after I got the network working using the above documented method, when I reboot the machine, the xbmc logo comes up for a couple of seconds, but the graphics are low resolution, like the graphics mode has gone wrong, then the "XBMCLive login:" message appears on a text-mode black full screen.

I tried startx, /usr/bin/xbmc etc and it says something about can't find display.

Seems like something has corrupted X server or something... just guessing.

If this method can't be fixed then I thought of a plan B:
- unpack the XBMC live .iso file and then insert the driver into the right path where the installer/network detection code expects to find it, and then re-make the .iso and burn it again to USB stick and try reinstalling. This should be the most pain-free method of solving this issue, but I don't have the necessary knowledge of how to do this, so if anyone does know... please help!

A quick look at the unpacked .iso file shows there are '.udeb' files, which I assume are packed files that the installer uses during installation, so my next homework is to find out about their composition... sigh....
I follow you. I'm afraid I'd probably be heading down precisely the route you are, so I'm not much help. I'm not sure how to slipstream the module into the iso either. Right now I'm also battling with this bug which means I can't get to the shell, so there's no hurry.

I'm not sure if you can attach files here.
Please just dump it anywhere onto https://public.me.com/alasdair.blackwell

Thanks.
I've been running XBMC Live off of the Beta 1 from XBMCFreak from a few weeks back and have had zero issues. Booted right up, full networking, HDMI audio, etc.

Much easier than actually installing XBMC into a bare Ubuntu installation.
redtail Wrote:I follow you. I'm afraid I'd probably be heading down precisely the route you are, so I'm not much help. I'm not sure how to slipstream the module into the iso either.

No problem, I've wasted a lot of time on this now, so I think I'll try beta 1, as SoxIn7 says he had no problems with it.

redtail Wrote:Right now I'm also battling with this bug which means I can't get to the shell, so there's no hurry.

Yes, I found that bug too and it's really caught me out. The only way I've found so far (without a working network) to get a terminal once xbmc live is installed to HD/SSD etc is to re-install and then terminate the install and select the Terminal from the installation menus. But this has the side effect of doing a partial install which really SNAFUs your previously installed files as the b1**dy installer doesn't allow you to skip partitioning/formatting etc....Stare

redtail Wrote:I'm not sure if you can attach files here.
Please just dump it anywhere onto https://public.me.com/alasdair.blackwell
Thanks.

OK, I put the driver onto your public drive there in the JMC261_driver directory. Hope it helps. At least it has successfully brought up a working wired ethernet connection for me using the instructions listed above in this thread.

Let me know if you get any success, and I will too. Now I'm off to try out beta1...
SoxIn7 Wrote:I've been running XBMC Live off of the Beta 1 from XBMCFreak from a few weeks back and have had zero issues. Booted right up, full networking, HDMI audio, etc.

Much easier than actually installing XBMC into a bare Ubuntu installation.

Thanks for that, I'll try out beta 1 if I can get hold of it...
froggit:
thank you very much, your guide how to compile and install jme driver solved my no network issue with xs35gt.
unfortunately had to install camelot live, because there is broken terminal (no video) in last dharma live betas, and it's almost impossible to blind type all those commands without ssh :[
Thanks ezechiel1917, glad it worked.

As I can't get to the terminal and make it work for dharma, I too will now try camelot live with the driver until it works properly when dharma is released.

Thanks for letting me know that camelot works with the driver.

So 2 potential choices with the XS35GT:
1. use dharma live image and have problems typing blind within the terminal (CTRL-ALT F1 etc) in order to install the missing jme.ko wired network driver for the XS35GT's JMC261 NIC, but someone has found a solution here for getting a working terminal by setting the correct screen resolution for grub: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=598...stcount=10
OR:
2. use the older camelot live image and after installation & reboot, when xbmc is running, CTRL-ALT F1 to a terminal and leave the existing jme.ko driver alone and as root edit the /etc/network/interfaces file to add the dchp stuff etc for the wired eth0 network interface (see previous steps earlier in this thread). Then reboot for good luck if required, and you should have a working xbmc with working wired network.

I went with the camelot live and all is working now. When dharma is fixed I will use that.

Update:
Well I spoke too soon. Camelot Live installs OK on the XS35GT, you can bring up a terminal and get the wired network working, but it seems there is no audio output working through the HDMI output. I tried all the audio settings I could find in System->System->Audio: analog/digital using HDMI as output and there is no audio. When a video plays, immediately a popup appears saying 'Failed to initialize audio device'. I will try again, but this doesn't look good. So, might have to revisit the idea of trying to get dharma beta 2 working...
anyone got hdmi audio working (ac3, dts bitstream etc) ? How?

Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ aplay -L
default:CARD=Intel
    HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)

Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I only have analog devices listed Sad
It seems the specs should be good enough to also run Win7+XBMC with DXVA hardware acceleration. Has anyone tried it yet on the X35?
froggit Wrote:OK, I put the driver onto your public drive there in the JMC261_driver directory. Hope it helps. At least it has successfully brought up a working wired ethernet connection for me using the instructions listed above in this thread.

Let me know if you get any success, and I will too. Now I'm off to try out beta1...

Thanks very much, I appreciate it. I couldn't get to the shell to determine the kernel version in order to build an appropriate VM in order to compile the driver myself.

I'll try to edit the grub.conf and get the shell working on Beta 2 before giving up.

Incidentally, I'm only trying Beta 2 because 9.11 will not install for me on the XS35GT. The install fails at the "Installing System" stage. I believe this is some kind of known issue with the CD driver.
redtail Wrote:Thanks very much, I appreciate it. I couldn't get to the shell to determine the kernel version in order to build an appropriate VM in order to compile the driver myself.

The way I got to the shell was a bit hacky: after installation from USB memory stick onto SSD, I reinstalled and somewhere during the second installation I selected 'Terminal' from the installation menu of the Live installer.

Anyway, if it's of interest, the kernel version is 2.6.32-21-generic, but you can save yourself the bother, as I already did that and posted the driver here. The Ubuntu version corresponding to that kernel is something like Lucid Lynx or LTS. (Ubuntu 10.04 if I remember). Yeah, here it is: ubuntu-10.04-dvd-i386.iso

redtail Wrote:I'll try to edit the grub.conf and get the shell working on Beta 2 before giving up.

I would be very interested to hear if that enables you to reach the terminal or not, because it might enable me to re-try dharma beta 2.

redtail Wrote:Incidentally, I'm only trying Beta 2 because 9.11 will not install for me on the XS35GT. The install fails at the "Installing System" stage. I believe this is some kind of known issue with the CD driver.

I never saw that problem, as I installed from USB memory stick. I burned the bootable installation image to the stick using an app called UNetBootin.
froggit Wrote:Anyway, if it's of interest, the kernel version is 2.6.32-21-generic, but you can save yourself the bother, as I already did that and posted the driver here. The Ubuntu version corresponding to that kernel is something like Lucid Lynx or LTS. (Ubuntu 10.04 if I remember). Yeah, here it is: ubuntu-10.04-dvd-i386.iso

Thanks, that's handy. That info is not easy to find.

froggit Wrote:I would be very interested to hear if that enables you to reach the terminal or not, because it might enable me to re-try dharma beta 2.

Stay tuned. =)

froggit Wrote:I never saw that problem, as I installed from USB memory stick. I burned the bootable installation image to the stick using an app called NetBootin.

I'd read about uNetBootin and for some reason I'd convinced myself the app was Windows only. No idea what I was on that day. Thanks again for the .ko.
lovely work guys
Well I spoke too soon earlier. Camelot Live installs OK on the XS35GT, you can bring up a terminal and get the wired network working, but it seems there is no audio output working through the HDMI output. I tried all the audio settings I could find in System->System->Audio: analog/digital using HDMI as output and there is no audio.

When a video plays, immediately a popup appears saying 'Failed to initialize audio device'. I will try again, but this doesn't look good. So, might have to revisit the idea of trying to get dharma beta 2 working... Sad
redtail Wrote:Thanks, that's handy. That info is not easy to find./QUOTE]

Thanks.

[quote=redtail]Stay tuned. =)

I will. As camelot has no audio for me, I too will try getting the grub stuff for video resolution working so that I can bring up a terminal to setup networking. I can see this is going to be a long day...

redtail Wrote:I'd read about uNetBootin and for some reason I'd convinced myself the app was Windows only. No idea what I was on that day. Thanks again for the .ko.

No probs. Together, hopefully all of us here will get this thing working.

Incidentally, did anyone raise any of these issues as bugs for dharma beta 2? The only reason I ask is that we need to get these issues (jme.ko & no terminal) fixed before the next beta or final release is made. See this comment by jmarshall: http://xbmc.org/theuni/2010/09/14/dharma...ment-10854
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shuttle XS354