• 7(current)
Shuttle XS35
SoxIn7 Wrote:I've been running XBMC Live off of the Beta 1 from XBMCFreak from a few weeks back and have had zero issues. Booted right up, full networking, HDMI audio, etc.

Much easier than actually installing XBMC into a bare Ubuntu installation.

Which hardware are you running it on? XS35 ion system?

And are you using HDMI output?
ezechiel1917 Wrote:anyone got hdmi audio working (ac3, dts bitstream etc) ? How?

Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ aplay -L
default:CARD=Intel
    HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)

Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I only have analog devices listed Sad

Did you get any further with this, as I couldn't get audio working through HDMI using camelot live Sad

A message appears when you watch a video: 'Failed to initialize audio device'...
redtail Wrote:I follow you. I'm afraid I'd probably be heading down precisely the route you are, so I'm not much help. I'm not sure how to slipstream the module into the iso either. Right now I'm also battling with this bug which means I can't get to the shell, so there's no hurry.

I'm not sure if you can attach files here.
Please just dump it anywhere onto https://public.me.com/alasdair.blackwell

Thanks.

hmm mind sharing the driver? i also need it for my new xs35gt box
This wired ethernet driver works for xbmc dharma live beta 2 release, but not camelot live:

http://breden.org.uk/bin/xs35gt/drivers/.../jme.ko.gz

This is the 1.0.6.1 version that redtail compiled (latest version currently available), which was compiled using the correct kernel version for dharma beta 2: 2.6.32-24

1. rename the unzipped file to jme.ko and copy it to /lib/modules/2.6.32-24-generic/kernel/drivers/net/
2. sudo modprobe jme
3. sudo nano /etc/network/interface
# add these 2 lines:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
4. sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

You should now have wired ethernet networking operational.

Edited to replace my older 1.0.5 version & replace with redtail's newer version for correct kernel version, and to provide installation instructions.
froggit Wrote:Did you get any further with this, as I couldn't get audio working through HDMI using camelot live Sad

A message appears when you watch a video: 'Failed to initialize audio device'...

dharma beta2 experimental nvidia livecd from xbmcfreak sees the hdmi audio device.
froggit Wrote:Works under xbmc dharma live beta 2 release, but not camelot live:
http://breden.org.uk/bin/xs35gt/drivers/...rma/jme.ko

I compiled it myself and it seems to work, but as always, use at your own risk and I take no responsibility for any problems with it.

thanks!
heldchen Wrote:dharma beta2 experimental nvidia livecd from xbmcfreak sees the hdmi audio device.

That's good to know. When you say 'sees' what do you mean exactly:
1. You can enable HDMI audio output in the system settings
2. 1 above and you can actually hear audio once HDMI output is selected?

Because camelot live enables me to set HDMI output but I just don't hear anything and get a 'failed to initialize audio device' message when I play a video.

Thanks.
After few hours I've solved no hdmi audio in Camelot, one have to compile latest alsa to get hdmi audio working.

To do this, we must begin by determining our version of alsa as follows :

cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.20.

To avoid problems during the upgrade of Alsa-utils, we need to stop it with the following command :

sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils stop
sudo stop xbmc-live

We must then install the necessary tools to compile along with the kernel headers :

sudo apt-get -y install build-essential ncurses-dev gettext xmlto libasound2-dev
sudo apt-get -y install linux-headers-`uname -r` libncursesw5-dev

Then, we go in our personal folder and download alsa-driver, alsa-lib and alsa-utils :

cd ~
rm -rf ~/alsa* ~/.pulse*
wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/al...23.tar.bz2
wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/lib/alsa-...23.tar.bz2
wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/utils/als...23.tar.bz2

After that, we create a new folder for the compilation and installation of the 3 files. Then, we move the 3 tar files that we just downloaded in this folder :

sudo rm -rf /usr/src/alsa
sudo mkdir -p /usr/src/alsa
cd /usr/src/alsa
sudo cp ~/alsa* .

Unpack the 3 tar files :

sudo tar xjf alsa-driver*
sudo tar xjf alsa-lib*
sudo tar xjf alsa-utils*

We compile and install alsa-driver :

cd alsa-driver*
sudo ./configure
sudo make
sudo make install

We compile and install alsa-lib :

cd ../alsa-lib*
sudo ./configure
sudo make
sudo make install

We compile and install alsa-utils :

cd ../alsa-utils*
sudo ./configure
sudo make
sudo make install

Then, we remove the 3 tar files in our personal folder that are not anymore necessary :

rm -f ~/alsa-driver*
rm -f ~/alsa-lib*
rm -f ~/alsa-utils*

Then, just restart your computer and your alsa version should be 1.0.23!

You can verify that you have now indeed have this version of alsa :

cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
Compiled on May 2 2010 for kernel 2.6.32-21-generic (SMP).

Just to be sure everything is well configured, execute this command :

sudo alsaconf

then we're gonna setup HDA Nvidia card in XS35GT

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf

paste following line and save:

options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0

reboot computer , next step is to unmute nvidia audio

sudo alsamixer

press F6, select HDA Nvidia, unmute all SPDIF there ('M' key)

Now we have to find out card # and device # of Nvidia HDMI so we can set it in xbmc

aplay -l

note your card # and device # we're gonna use them for test then set up in xbmc

for example:
Code:
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

based those # test your speakers with following command:
speaker-test -D plughw:1,7 -c6

then finally set up xbmc - system - audio (set custom devices according to your working speaker-test)

Audio Output: HDMI
Audio Output Device: Custom
Custom Audio Device: plughw:1,7
Passthrough Audio Device: Custom
Custom Passthrough Device: plughw:1,7

And that's it =) HDMI audio working. Thanks to these guides 1 , 2
Anyway, coming from an original ION system, I have a feeling video quality of VDPAU videos with Next Generation ION in XS35 is little bit better to my surprise. Hope it's not placebo effect. Big Grin
I looked in the xs35gt's BIOS and it is BIOS version 1.08, with a build date of 20100628.

On the shuttle site I see there is already a version 1.09 available: http://uk.shuttle.com/download03.jsp?PCI...=1423&PL=2
click on the BIOS tab.

I didn't try it yet, but it could be useful if the HDMI problem is fixed in this new BIOS.

On the drivers page there are loads of drivers, but they are all for Windows, so no use if you are running the live linux code.

Anyway, I'll check what hardware drives the audio in the XS35GT and see what driver it needs...
froggit:
I've managed to get terminal access with dharma on the XS35GT by editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg. I changed the gfxmode parameter to:

set gfxmode=1920x1080

It's rather flakey though. After a minute or so, the terminal screen goes grey and I have to swap to the X server and back with ctrl+alt F8/F1 to make the terminal readable again. It's clearly not right, but I'll worry about that later.

I was able to get the jme driver onto XBMC and modprobe it, however I receive an "invalid module format" error. Seems my kernel version is 2.6.32-24-generic. Did you build against 2.6.32-21?
ezechiel1917 Wrote:After few hours I've solved no hdmi audio in Camelot, one have to compile latest alsa to get hdmi audio working.

And that's it =) HDMI audio working.

Brilliant work! Nod
That would have taken me ages to find out and get working!
redtail Wrote:froggit:
I've managed to get terminal access with dharma on the XS35GT by editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg. I changed the gfxmode parameter to:

set gfxmode=1920x1080

Great news redtail!
Now we have HDMI audio, network and terminal working on dharma beta 2, so we're in business!

redtail Wrote:It's rather flakey though. After a minute or so, the terminal screen goes grey and I have to swap to the X server and back with ctrl+alt F8/F1 to make the terminal readable again. It's clearly not right, but I'll worry about that later.

Oh well, I suppose it's only a problem in terminal and we don't need to be in terminal too long until the config is sorted out. Thanks for the info and fix.

redtail Wrote:I was able to get the jme driver onto XBMC and modprobe it, however I receive an "invalid module format" error. Seems my kernel version is 2.6.32-24-generic. Did you build against 2.6.32-21?

Yes, I built against 2.6.32-21 from ubuntu 10.04. I probably should have got hold of 10.04-1 or something like that.

So with this info, I'll reinstall the dharma beta 2 code, fix grub first so that I can get a terminal, then install the network and finally use ezechiel1917's HDMI audio fix, and then it should be working nicely.

Brilliant work guys, we did it!

Next trick is to get these changes into the next beta...
Yes, we're making progress! I'm looking forward to using this thing. I'm going to try and build a version of the jme driver against 2.6.32-24-generic. Check back later.
I'd like to have that driver when you've compiled it if possible.

BTW, when I was on the jmicron ftp site, I saw a file on there that was labelled 1.0.6.1 -- slightly newer than the one I downloaded, I think. Will you use that version?

Yeah, I'm looking forward to using it too -- spent far too long cursing at the box so far! Rolleyes
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shuttle XS354