• 46(current)
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV
I have a dane-elec 8gb stick that I can't get the ATV to recognize (ATV boots up as if stick is not present). Tried both Sam and Pin's images. My SanDisk stick works fine. Is there any reason why this stick won't work? Any trouble shooting I can do?
scorneil Wrote:I have a dane-elec 8gb stick that I can't get the ATV to recognize (ATV boots up as if stick is not present). Tried both Sam and Pin's images. My SanDisk stick works fine. Is there any reason why this stick won't work? Any trouble shooting I can do?

Not all USB flash drives can boot. Has to do with the disk/sector and internal controller used. Nothing you can do.
davilla Wrote:Not all USB flash drives can boot. Has to do with the disk/sector and internal controller used. Nothing you can do.

thanks davilla. damn you dane-elec!
Also did you make sure to load the image with USBTool in 'Device Mode', if you didnt then I think that will prevent it from being bootable.
xboxmedia Wrote:thank you deltazulu. I will be doing that very soon. On a side note I was able to add SMB shares at the computer level... (like if it was a drive i could add C:/ but not C:/shared/)... anyways i did that from file manager and once added i could navigate it and add folders as sources. not perfect but a possible solution for someone not wanting to update.

Sharing the root of your system drive is a serious security risk. Do it right, or don't do it at all, because you are making your PC very vulnerable to attack.
Nothing of interest in the sys.log or kern.log but I see this message that looks interesting.

Code:
xbmc@AppleTV:~$ tail /var/log/messages
Jul 23 15:36:03 AppleTV powersaved: Starting powersaved with ACPI support
What would powersaved be starting from? Any thought if this could be it?

I installed it right away so I cant say if the problem was present on the usb stick. I also installed lirc and whatever dependancies it wanted.

Craig
akg4y Wrote:Also did you make sure to load the image with USBTool in 'Device Mode', if you didnt then I think that will prevent it from being bootable.

I used the Linux command - the exact same one that I've used successfully for other sticks
deltazulu Wrote:I'd recommend updating xbmc.

Here is the method I used to update from pin87a's R3 minimized atv-linux image:

Of course you first mush SSH into your atv-linux running pin87a's R3 image (don't run this on stock atv).

I did this, and it updated (thanks!!!!), but only to svn31718 from 2010-07-11.

Is that really the latest version? Aren't there supposed to be nightly builds? Am I just confused? (probably) Smile

Thanks
-Dan
dzenc Wrote:I did this, and it updated (thanks!!!!), but only to svn31718 from 2010-07-11.

Is that really the latest version? Aren't there supposed to be nightly builds? Am I just confused? (probably) Smile

Thanks
-Dan

Same here
i installed pin87a 's image on the internal driver , because it was working fine on the usb-stick.

on the internal drive i had the strange issue that xbmc crashed on videos with dolby audio stream (black window) , i installed it two times with the same experience...

is it possible that i had to wait around 1 minute the first time i open a video with dolby?
now it seems to work, after i waited a long time with the black window the first time...

whatever...

my xbmc told me that i have 2 gb on internal disk.

can someone give me hint how to expand this 2gb to the original 160gb ?
thanks in advance
i removed powersave and thought I had it but no!
I was able to ping it and ssh in but still no video output without a reboot.

The search continues.

Craig
Smile 
OK Guys,

First of all I want to say THANK YOU!!. This has made my ATV usable and even my wife commented on how much better it is. Can't complain when that happens. Laugh

The only problem I have is this is running on the flash drive. Not a real problem but I want to put it on the internal hard drive. I am pretty new to the whole Linux/OSX world so these instructions in this post are sort of above my head. I have made the backup of my internal drive, that part was pretty straight forward. Now what?

Could someone PLEASE help me?

Thank you soooo much in advance.
just updated my pin87a's image to 32178 but now crystal hd hardware acceleration is gone from the playback menu under system.
I'm running r143 driver

please help...

p.s. i saw that crystalhd was giving errors in a thread in the linux section and talks about removing it, could that be the case?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33327&page=87
plus a patch is supplied in that thread http://trac.xbmc.org/attachment/ticket/9...9662.patch

EDIT : I see in xbox.log that libcrystalhd.so isn't getting loaded
Scott,

This is with Sam's image, the new 70015 card and r32178

lspci: 02:00.0 Multimedia controller: Broadcom Corporation Unknown device 1615
dmesg: http://pastebin.com/njY0khkM
xbmc.log: http://pastebin.com/s8HwL2ZW
Flicker Wrote:just updated my pin87a's image to 32178 but now crystal hd hardware acceleration is gone from the playback menu under system.
I'm running r143 driver

please help...

p.s. i saw that crystalhd was giving errors in a thread in the linux section and talks about removing it, could that be the case?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33327&page=87
plus a patch is supplied in that thread http://trac.xbmc.org/attachment/ticket/9...9662.patch

EDIT : I see in xbox.log that libcrystalhd.so isn't getting loaded

The SVN PPA builds were failing for the past week or so (which is why ppa users couldn't upgrade past 31718).
As a quick fix for the compile issues crystalhd support was disabled.

While that issue gets sorted out you will probably want to stick with 31718 or earlier.

This should get you back to 31718:
Code:
cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
sudo dpkg -i xbmc*svn31718*
  • 46(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV15