10.04 Lucid: Do Not Install Lightly
Can't agree here, sorry.
My current lucid 64bit setup with XBMC was the easiest combo I have had so far. I wouldn't see any major problems with my hardware or anything.

boba
Same here, no such new problem with 64-bit lucid XBMCbuntu combo so far, plus impressive boot-time performance. The problem I see, such as occasional crash, sound-loss etc. are there with XBMC from the beginning, at lest from the day I started using it. Cheers!!
MINIX NEO U22-XJ | Denon AVC-X3800H | KEF Q750 | KEF Q150 | KEF Q250c | KEF Q50a | KEF Kube 10 MIE | LG OLED65G16LA | CoreELEC
lucid pro:

- comes with current alsa, very important for HDMI audio (nvidia etc.)
- fast boot times

lucid contra:

- no usplash support anymore
- still some manual configuration related to xbmc (esp. live) to get acpi-related stuff going etc.

--> when you want bleeding edge, have some linux experience and are able&willing to find out solutions to common problems by yourself, go for it. if not, stay with the koala and/or 9.11 live camelot until the next release comes. 10.5, 10.8 or something like that.

also I have to admit, having tested just recently the DSplayer windows builds, the windows version has come a long way! it is now really good especially for the unexperienced windows user who doesn't like to fiddle with package management, command line graphics driver updating and kernel management. I'll stay with XBMCbuntu because it gives me a more customized media player-like solution but the windows alternative is nearly just as good as a media center substitution. kudos to the windows coding team!
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:lucid pro:

- comes with current alsa, very important for HDMI audio (nvidia etc.)
- fast boot times

lucid contra:

- no usplash support anymore
- still some manual configuration related to xbmc (esp. live) to get acpi-related stuff going etc.

--> when you want bleeding edge, have some linux experience and are able&willing to find out solutions to common problems by yourself, go for it. if not, stay with the koala and/or 9.11 live camelot until the next release comes. 10.5, 10.8 or something like that.

also I have to admit, having tested just recently the DSplayer windows builds, the windows version has come a long way! it is now really good especially for the unexperienced windows user who doesn't like to fiddle with package management, command line graphics driver updating and kernel management. I'll stay with XBMCbuntu because it gives me a more customized media player-like solution but the windows alternative is nearly just as good as a media center substitution. kudos to the windows coding team!

Couldn't agree more with your assessment. I have no issues tweaking a system but I think many here forget that we have lots of different levels of users out there. Just trying to remind folks of that.
+1
I have problems with sound levels under Linux.
Used Windows version and sticked to it. No sound problems. I don't care that it would boot longer as I always hibernate so it takes only 10-15s to use.
Btw, currently you don't have to use DSPlayer as newer builds have DXVA2
Regards,
Embrion

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
10.04 Lucid: Do Not Install Lightly0