IBM ThinkPad R31 Display Malfunction
I tried using xbmc-9.04 Live CD in my IBM ThinkPad R31 and it worked fine aside from being a little slow. Unfortunately, I accidentally hit a wrong key on the keyboard, I think it was the Backslash key above the Enter key. Ever since that moment the sizing of the display has been smaller than it should be. The XBMC settings say that it is set to 800X600, and proportionally that seems right, but the display is shrunken and moved to the upper left corner of the screen. I have tried restarting and I have tried using xbmc-9.11 Live CD but the display error has persisted. The display works properly when I start the Windows XP installation. Even if I fubar'd XBMC display settings, I don't understand how those settings can persist after restart considering that it is running from a live CD. Hopefully someone can advise how I can straighten out my ThinkPad's display problem.

System Info
IBM ThinkPad R31
Vintage 2002
CPU: Intel Mobile Pentium III 1.13 GHz
RAM: 256 MB
Graphics: Intel 82830M Graphics Controller

The disastrous keyboard error I first mentioned.... I could swear it happened. I could swear I replicated it. With further experimentation I have found xbmc-8.10 Live CD and xbmc-9.04.1 Live CD work as they are supposed to, but the xbmc-9.11 Live CD display error persists. So now it would seem that the problem is most likely xbmc-9.11 Live CD's Intel Graphics display driver.

The Intel driver for xbmc-9.04.1 does work, the Intel driver for xbmc-9.11 does not work. Hopefully someone can tell me how to downgrade the Intel driver to create a live-cd that would work.
xbmc-9.11 Live CD is built on ubuntu-9.10.

I hypothesized that booting ubuntu-9.10 Live CD would have the same display problems as xbmc-9.11 Live CD. Testing of the hypothesis found that ubuntu-9.10 Live CD works exactly as it was supposed to. So it would seem xbmc-9.11 Live CD is in someway hobbled that ubuntu-9.10 Live CD is not. Guess I can't go looking for help from ubuntu forums, I have to hope I will be able to find help here on the XBMC forum.
Press the backslash key again.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

The backslash key does produce an effect when using xbmc-9.11 Live CD, it makes the screen even smaller. So the choices are small or smaller...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IBM ThinkPad R31 Display Malfunction0