Building HTPC for XBMC - Windows 7 32bit or 64bit
I'm building an HTPC that will run XBMC almost exclusively. I am trying to decide on what OS to get, and couldn't find a ton of info on that on the site or this forum.

Windows 7 32-bit or Windows 7 64-bit?

I'd prefer 64 bit since the OS can take full advantage of the processor. I realize there isn't a 64-bit build of XBMC....but I'm not really convinced there needs to be. As long as XBMC 32bit runs fine on a 64bit Windows OS...I think I'm OK there. Just loooking for some validation.

When XP and Vista 64 came out there were issues with drivers, codecs, etc, but that has all pretty much been taken care of by now.

Can I run XBMC on Windows 7 64-bit? Are there any known issues I could run in to?

Thanks!
XBMC runs perfectly fine on both systems. It can't take advantage of the 64 bit-iocity, but there shouldn't be any problem with just running XBMC on the system.
32 BIT!!!!

I'm running on 64 bit and with some skins/plugins I'm expieriencing problems nobody else has Big Grin

I'm running it on 64 bit too.. but there is no advantage.
The disadvantages are:
o) Driver for graphic cards (e.g. ati are still not aviable for all products)
o) Some plugins/skins seem to have minor bugs
o) Ever thought about a tv card or somethin else no so common? - don't with 64bit
Just installed Xbmc on Win 7 64bit (PC with ION/ATOM (Acer Aspire Revo 3610)) and have no problems with it. As long as you don't use uncommon / exotic hardware i would always prefer 64bit.
All my hardware will be pretty standard, and I know will run fine in 64 bit. I do not need a TV card, nor will I ever for this device.

I think I'll go with 64-bit and see how it goes. Looks like a few folks are running it OK.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
As long as your hardware supports it, there is no reason not to run 64-bit these days.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building HTPC for XBMC - Windows 7 32bit or 64bit0