What type of Nettop supports S-Video over VGA?
Hey guys, im finally getting rid of my xbox to use a nice little nettop, and was gonna go with the Revo, but heard it doesn't support S-Video over VGA. This is cruicial for me because I very much still enjoy my 47 inch CRT TV. And if all I need is the VGA to S-Video, I can be happy. I do not want to replace my TV, just my Xbox.

So. What Nettop computers support S-Video over VGA, so I can get the gravy train movin?

Ive looked around, and cant find specifics on what (or any) machine supports it or not, so im reaching out in hopes that someone here knows first hand.
I reckon you might be pushing that on an 'all in one' mini-ITX atom motherboard. Best bet might be looking for a motherboard where you can drop in a Nvidia video card with s-video - at least that way once you upgrade TV's you can remove the card and go the HDMI route.

I always found S-Video on video cards nothing short of terrible anyway, really not much above the old-skool Red/White/Yellow RCA's of old - so not sure how your mileage will go....

Or maybe such a thing as a VGA -> s-video converter exists? But it could prove to be pricey, money better spent on your new TV Smile
Thats just it, the Revo has a VGA port, and there are VGA to S-Video converting cables, but the VGA port itself does not support S-Video over VGA.

Apparently its a little know fact about VGA ports, that VGA to S-Video is just not possible most of the time, unless it supports S-Video over VGA.

The Revo has an HDMI port too, so that if I were to upgrade TVs, id be totally set. Most nettops have HDMI as a matter of fact, so later upgrades wont be the problem, and I would prefer an all in one nettop so I don't have to tinker with it. Its bad enough I had to tinker with my Xbox and 360 as long as I have, I just dont want to add another device to that list. I just want to keep it simple (As hard as it seems to be), know what I mean?
wonkizzle Wrote:Apparently its a little know fact about VGA ports, that VGA to S-Video is just not possible most of the time, unless it supports S-Video over VGA.

Ahhh I see, some VGA ports can switch into an 'S-Video' mode - allowing the use of a simple cable to get S-Video out. I was thinking more of a VGA -> S-Video converter (hardware converter, not simple cable) - if such a thing does exist.

This would work - but, ouch - the price!

http://www.svideo.com/hdmi2svideo.html
Vga to s video converters do indeed exist there not cheap though, look here http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=vga+to+s+video+converter&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=8905775451879332244&ei=hVEMTPewMqP20wTEzoFu&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDwQ8wIwAw##
And i seem to recall the picture quality being crap my advice would be to get yourself a newer tv with hdmi
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
This is why I wanna know what (if any, because it depends on the VGA chipset) nettops support S-Video over VGA, because theres simple VGA to S-video cords for 5-10 dollars I don't mind springing for.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What type of Nettop supports S-Video over VGA?0