Xbmc live/330ht hang on wifi
i have the latest xbmcfreak ion optimized version on an asrock ion 330ht and via ethernet everything works perfect but in a month I've to move everything in my living room, I can't use ethernet from there so I'm testing out wifi

while I'm connected wireless the connection will randomly just hang/drop... the video pause (while sometimes subtitle keep going) and I can't even go back to menu, only reboot.. sometimes it happen after a few minutes of an SD video, sometimes after 20 minutes of a 1080p video... it's just random

if I try a ping in command line (ctrl+alt+f2 works) I can't reach anything, not even the router

I've tried to install the linux-backports-modules-karmic and other stuff that I found in some old post here, i tried to disable the ethernet card (even in the bios) but still nothing

my question are:
a) i know a lot of people had problem with wifi on 330ht, did any definitive solution come up to this problem? (hoping my search skill aren't so great)
b) where can I found a log of what really happen to my connection? (since I lose connection to the router, there should be some error log somewhere but I can't find it)
I've got the same problem, using the default Live installation on a 330HT.

I followed all Stinkupuss's instructions (twice, just to be sure) but to no avail. Reading the full thread that was from, it seems it does fix it for a lot of people so I'm trying to work out what's different for me.

At the moment I'm wondering if it's because I use WEP and they all use WPA. Or maybe the package that downloads is different to how it was in January when most of those posts were made.

Going to try using WPA and (maybe) no security this evening to see if I can get anywhere.

Does anyone have any advive for alternative sources of wireless drivers I could try? I'm new to Linux and am obviously restricted to the command line.

Also can anyone tell me the make and model of the wifi card in the 330HT? I did see it once but can't find it now.

Thanks in advance!
same issue here: XBMCfreak-Live 9.11.14 on ASRock ION330HT

I even intentionally updated to kernel 2.6.31-22, because I read that this might increase WiFi stability, but no: the only issue was, that my MCE didn't work any longer after the kernel update, which I luckily could get fixed, now.

However, no improvement with the WiFi.

My AP is an AVM FRITZ!Box 7270 (FW 54.04.80) supporting 802.11n+g+b at 2.4 GHz and WPA+WPA2.

My WLAN config (/etc/network/interfaces) on the XBMC/ASRock would like this:
Code:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# The secondary wlan interface
# http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202834
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-driver wext
wpa-ssid <MY-SSID>
wpa-ap-scan 1
wpa-proto RSN
wpa-pairwise TKIP CCMP
wpa-group TKIP CCMP
wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
wpa-psk <MY-PSK>
I have the same problem still on my acer revo, also using xbmcfreak build 14 and fritzbox 7270. I've hunted high and low for a solution but cant seem to find one. if I restart the networking init.d/networking restart it seems to stablize things for an hour or so.

I noticed that if the screensaver in xbmc is on, then the network seems to die...but need to double check that
Confirmed - I think this problem is with WEP only.

I was having the same problem, even after the installs suggested. But that was with WEP. I then tried with no security, which as fine, then WPA, which was also fine.

Are you all using WEP?
ears Wrote:Confirmed - I think this problem is with WEP only.

I was having the same problem, even after the installs suggested. But that was with WEP. I then tried with no security, which as fine, then WPA, which was also fine.

Are you all using WEP?

I'm with WPA, it's not just WEP the problem

I think I may have found a solution... haven't found this before since it's an eeebox guide, but the wirless card is the same so it seems it's working... I've watched about 7/8 tv shows episode in SD, and a 720p movie and had just a few seconds of buffer problem with the movie (haven't searched for a solution but I think it should be kind of easy to adjust the buffer)

BTW, here's the link with the guide -->
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Tal...lternative

download compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2 from here: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Downlo...he_tarball

xbmc:$ tar jxvf compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2
xbmc:$ cd compat-wireless-2.6 (or whatever the new directory is called)
xbmc:$ ./scripts/driver-select ath9k
xbmc:$ make
xbmc:$ sudo make install
xbmc:$ sudo reboot

I had a clean install before doing this and I haven't installed again whrough apt the backports thing
I also have WPA. will try the fix above and report back
I dont think wifi is the best way to stream a hd movie :/ i think it simply is too much data
yots Wrote:download compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2 from here: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Downlo...he_tarball

xbmc:$ ./scripts/driver-select ath9k
xbmc:$ make
xbmc:$ sudo make install
xbmc:$ sudo reboot

I had a clean install before doing this and I haven't installed again whrough apt the backports thing

Please help! I'm new to linux and struggling.

I had to rebuild and now I have the problem back. I'm trying to follow this but I just keep getting permission denied when I try to do anything - even using sudo. Any idea why? I'm getting it when I type 'make'.

Thanks.
Sorted this now. I'd unpacked the tarball in Windows then copied the files over onto the xbmc box and it didn't like it.

The compat wirless compile and install worked for me too.

Something the guide doesn't make clear, that caught me out, is that you have to unpack the tarball before the driver select as the driver select script is part of the package. I'm new to Linux so I don't know what's an inbuild script or what's supplied with a package yet.

Working very well now though. Thanks to all members of this forum for critical help in getting my 330HT set up - particularly the remote control and wireless.
ears Wrote:Sorted this now. I'd unpacked the tarball in Windows then copied the files over onto the xbmc box and it didn't like it.

The compat wirless compile and install worked for me too.

Something the guide doesn't make clear, that caught me out, is that you have to unpack the tarball before the driver select as the driver select script is part of the package. I'm new to Linux so I don't know what's an inbuild script or what's supplied with a package yet.

Working very well now though. Thanks to all members of this forum for critical help in getting my 330HT set up - particularly the remote control and wireless.

I've added the unpack command on the previous post.. nice to have a confirmation that this method indeed works Nod
thanx for this guys but after i reboot the system gets stuck on startup. at the minute it gets stuck starting the openbsd ssh. any ideas?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc live/330ht hang on wifi0