keeping library mode current
I'm having a bit of trouble with my "the daily show" and "colbert report" folders remaining current. for some reason the 'scan for new content' feature isn't registering the new episodes. not only that, but i have 'belvedere' set to automatically delete episodes older than one week, yet they still remain in library mode. the only solution i've found is to switch off library mode, remove the source, and then add it again.

this thread documents some sort of cache error which might be leading to this problem. is there any way to automate this process simply?
This is two different things...
1) the new episodes not getting scraped is due to the epguide getting cached.
2) the deleted episodes not being removed is normal. update library does not remove deleted files. use clean library to purge deleted items. (beware tho, make sure that all remote sources are accessible first! anything unreachable will be purged.)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
is there any easy way to fix item number 1?
Delete the cached xml file.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
is there a way to turn off this caching?

is there a way to automate cleaning the library on startup?

also, a nice feature to add would be to verify that the source itself is available before cleaning that source. that would eliminate the problem with mapped drives not being available.
No, you cannot turn off the cache. There is a patch that deletes the file on every search though.

The cleaning can be automated with the CleanLibrary() action, but its left to the user to actually automate it with a script.

This has been discussed to death in the past. Update Library used to clean at the same time which was less than ideal as you could lose scanned items due to a variety of reasons other than a file being deleted. There's too many to list. There isn't a 100% reliable way to verify that a file is deleted versus "unavailable" even if the source is accessible.

I had an idea to mark the inaccessible paths as such in the database, and just filter the contained items out of the display. So, nothing actually gets removed, just hidden from view. The downside to this approach is that it will produce bloat in the database if not cleaned eventually.

But, there's really no point in doing it now, as the video database will be gettnig an overhaul soon which will help account for files that have been "moved" (ie the path has changed.)
ok cool. good to hear.
will this upcoming change suffer from the same caching issue? or is that problem likely to go away as well.

i get new episodes of 'the daily show' automatically. are you saying that i have to manually delete this cached .xml file whenever i want a new episode to appear in the library list? do you have any idea where i could track down this patch?

edit. i found a patch in the original thread (the one linked in the original post), but it's a simple text file. i have no idea how to install this, and so far google isn't helping me much. any pointers?
The patch is on trac.
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/9241

You do realize that you need need to merge it into the source and compile your own binary tho.

And I cannot comment on the proposed changes to the video library. They don't exist yet. Smile
oy. i might be close to ditching the idea of using library mode. it just seems very problematic for the moment.

hopefully the new features will allow me to keep a relatively current list of what's actually in the folders at any given time.
I have another, similar issue which didn't really belong in it's own thread and figured I might hijack this one since the original question seems answered.

Using the "recently added" view, often after adding new shows to a series, that series will have an additional two or three episodes which appear in the "recently added" view. It only happens with some series and I don't recall it happening with movies.

For instance, 30 Rock episodes 1 and 4 were re-appearing each time I would add a new episode each week. Has this been discussed elsewhere and I missed it? They are files on a network but the episodes that keep re-appearing are not being modified each time (nor are the .nfo or .tbn sidecar files). Not even being accessed in that week.

r28256. Windows XP.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
keeping library mode current0