• 4(current)
Acer Revo R3610 ?
chanders Wrote:^^ You sound just like me Big Grin

Anyone willing to make an Acronis image of their working OSX implementation?

Sadly that won't work. The OS remains virtually untouched. The magic happens on the EFI partition where all the extra drivers required are kept. That way you can update the system without overwriting any of the patched files. Also means any image you make would be only of a stock Snow Leopard install.
Q6600, ASUS P5W, 6GB DDR2 and 2.5TB RAID running Mac OS X 10.5.5 and XBMC
xbox v1.0 (softmod) XBMC Dash
gribbler Wrote:I think I might - though my current project is really to get the FreeNAS installed on the flash drive in my Acer Easystore h340. Without audio over hdmi working though I may not go down that route - is that something that might be change soon-ish?

quite possibly. hdmi's only just become available on macs so i'm guessing people haven't had a huge amount of time to try implementing it on non apple hardware. once someone figures out how to patch it it'll most likely work though.
El Massman Wrote:Sadly that won't work. The OS remains virtually untouched. The magic happens on the EFI partition where all the extra drivers required are kept. That way you can update the system without overwriting any of the patched files. Also means any image you make would be only of a stock Snow Leopard install.

Actually if you make a hard drive image with acronis it makes a sector by sector copy. That way when you make the clone it's exact. Correct me if I am wrong, but that's what I did with the original OS and it worked perfectly.
chanders Wrote:Actually if you make a hard drive image with acronis it makes a sector by sector copy. That way when you make the clone it's exact. Correct me if I am wrong, but that's what I did with the original OS and it worked perfectly.

Ah, then maybe. Being a Mac kind of guy I'm used to backing up individual partitions using the built in disk utility. Great for backing up your OS but useless when it comes to keeping your bootloader you spent hours setting up. Smile If it copies the ENTIRE drive? I guess you'd have no issue. That sounds like a very good idea. It'd save people messing around in the terminal and downloading lots of files.
^^ it saves everything Wink

All you do is make a bootable USB acronis thumb drive. Boot with it and viola, select the whole internal drive for backup. You can then select a USB hard drive as the destination for the image file. In the end, anyone with a Revo can use the image to restore to a fully working OSX installation.

I'm not at home now but I may be able post up the image for the bootable acronis thumb drive, or you can try to make one your self. This is exciting, I'd like to install OSX without all the headache!
Sounds interesting. I will have a look at acronis. Does it matter about the size of the hdd used? I have changed my revo hdd to a smaller 20gb drive.

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
the issue will be is that it's including the osx install - ie: license - that would make this a very sticky issue.. you'll notice in virtually all of the hackintosh stuff it refers to "Snow Leopard Install DVD" or similar - meaning you are responsible for getting a legal copy - or not legal - but the author then is not distributing or encouraging it..

I'd be interested in someone's working 3610 Ubuntu image and testing that out to see if that would be a workable solution
@harryzimm The HD sizE wouldn't matter. It'll compress only to the data size so your actual image would be as small as the install.

@gribbler I am pretty sure you would be able to change the install key from inside the OS to keep your install legit. But that migh be a mute point because you are not even supposed to install OSX on non Apple hardware in the first place! Wink
Ah, I didn't think about the licensing thing.

I've got an image of my ubuntu install that multi boots between stable xbmc, svn nightly and pvr testing branch. I created the image using clonezilla.

Edit: let me know if you are interested

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
Nice. If you are willing to post it up Gribbler can give it a go to see how easy it is. I'll post mine up if you guys want.
ya i'm willing to test it out - my box right now is in a perfect state to be mucked with Smile
I'll be home in a couple of hours. Will try to get it up then, if harryzimm doesn't post his first.
Ok, i'll upload the image somewhere and post it tomorrow.

cheers
harryzimm Wrote:Ok, i'll upload the image somewhere and post it tomorrow.

cheers

if you need i can give you a ftp login to a server somewhere to drop it..

ps - you're a teuchter? (meant as non-offensive as possible..)
Don't have a faintest what that is lol. Enlighten me, I'll let you know. PM me the login info.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Revo R3610 ?1