Remotes and Receivers!!!!!!!!!!!
Huh Hi all,
All though I am new to the community I have been reading everything I can and I must say XBMC is awsome I was able to do the live install in my HD flawlessly but man this remote stuff seems so hard. By reading it looks like Lirc would be the way to go but what I cannot find is the perfect combo for remote and receiver. I have purchase this item and I am wondering if it was a waste. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...K:MEWNX:IT

I can see the IR light go off when pressing any button but using irw there is nothing displayed. If someone can post a link to a receiver that is known to work it would be great. I do have mutiple choices for remotes including a Logitec Harmony but the receiver that came with the above item does not seem to capture anything in irw unless I am missing something and I need to configure the ir receiver somewhere.

Please someone help me get some sleep thanks,
What did you setup the remote under the Logitech software?

I bought a supposed MCE receiver and it wasn't. Someone pointed out to get one of the HP receivers which works for me.

I'm having issues with this remote thing too. I can get my remote setup the way I want in Windows, but right now they don't have a solid build I guess that supports my Acer Revo. Only the nightly builds have it.
well that's a lot of exclamation marks you have there, sure to bring you some attention.

as for the remote: if it's a *true* MCE-compatible receiver&RC combo it'll work. when you install lirc the setup routine starts automatically, then you just enter windwos MCE remote and you're good to go. all other that are just searching for a compatible Logitech harmony receiver I have to point to these ebay HP OEM MCE receivers from HK, work like a charm
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:well that's a lot of exclamation marks you have there, sure to bring you some attention.

as for the remote: if it's a *true* MCE-compatible receiver&RC combo it'll work. when you install lirc the setup routine starts automatically, then you just enter windwos MCE remote and you're good to go. all other that are just searching for a compatible Logitech harmony receiver I have to point to these ebay HP OEM MCE receivers from HK, work like a charm

Sure needed the attention too! Thanks for the response as well. Now isn't lirc already installed as I mentioned I am using a live install directly on my hard-drive. Anyway I guess I can try to re-install lirc to see if I get asked to choose the Windows MCE remote.

Any other alternatives to try are very well welcome as well.
try a

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc

and pick the "right" remote!?
odoll Wrote:try a

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc

and pick the "right" remote!?

Ok I will try this tonight and see if I finally can get some sleep. I did confirm that my remote works perfectly with Windows Media Center.

Also which you think is the correct remote?
simplepr Wrote:Also which you think is the correct remote?

already mentioned this in my posting
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:already mentioned this in my posting

Ok I see thanks the only thing is that there are two choices for Windows MCE a new version and an old version correct? I chose the new version and I have nothing I will try to re-configure with the old version tonight and see what happens.

Now why irw shows nothing? It's like there isn't a driver for the IR receiver where can I check if there is one installed? I do see the IR light when I press a key in my remote but this does not mean that the system is receiving the command.

If I get something in irw I would not have any problems completing the installation all though I am no expert in Linux I do know how to move around in it and tweak stuff.

Thank you all for your great inputs I'll be looking forward for some more..
You will see the keypresses using irw after its configured using "sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc".

Your remote is advertised as Windows 7 Certified, so use "NEW" MCE remote if there are two listed (I don't recall if Lirc lists it as "Microsoft Media Center" or "Windows Media Center", so check both the "M" and "W" areas of the listing). I think "NEW" came about because of changes introduced in Vista, but I'm not sure.
fshagan Wrote:You will see the keypresses using irw after its configured using "sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc".

Your remote is advertised as Windows 7 Certified, so use "NEW" MCE remote if there are two listed (I don't recall if Lirc lists it as "Microsoft Media Center" or "Windows Media Center", so check both the "M" and "W" areas of the listing). I think "NEW" came about because of changes introduced in Vista, but I'm not sure.

Well all your instructions are easy so I have determined that this remote is not compatible because it does not work no matter what I choose on the lirc config. Unless I am missing something that must be done after it is configured. I have no joy in irw even though my remote is in fact stamped as RC6 in the back it may be the ir dongle that it came with but who knows. So I will be seeking to buy something that really works please send me some suggestions.

Thanks for all your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remotes and Receivers!!!!!!!!!!!0