Installing XBMC+Ubuntu
Hey guys,

I have come to the conclusion that I am going to install Ubuntu with XBMC, after much experimenting. I initially had XBMC on XP, and I loved it. So, I upgraded my video card and installed XMBC live. However, I want to do some customization, and XBMC live isn't extremely user friendly to upgrade.

So, My question is, what version of Ubuntu should I install? I want to have as much system resources free as possable for XBMC, but I also want a decent graphical o/s interface.

Any input would be great. Thanks alot!
Bookmark this manual and check it out. You can get a lot of info if you take the time to look.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Online_Manual

If you click on the right where it says install on Linux it will help with some of your answers.Nod
I ran into the same XBMC Live unfriedliness (for a non command line afficianado) but solved it a different way. I have unbuntu installed in one partition of a Hdd and XBMClive in another. Since I installed XBMCLive last, its grub loader setup found the ubuntu partition and put it in the menu as an alternate choice. It also found a windows XP partition that was there and set it up in Grubs' menu but that is not germane here.

If I boot the box and choose ubuntu instead of XBMClive I can modify the XBMClive stuff in a nice friendly manner. I told Ubunto to allow root login and set up what I wanted as root's password. If I go to "places" I see the XBMClive partition. I can view and modify (remember I am root on ubuntu) any part of the xbmc installation using the standard Ubuntu GUI. No sudo required. I generally save things from XBMClive into Ubuntu before I change them so I have a valid backup. Even if I blow a change so XBMClive won't boot, I can resolve it fairly easily and quickly.
btw the "ideal" solution is to do this via SSH from another PC Wink no need to have another dedicated ubuntu desktop partition
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Thanks for the replys guys. I will thouroughly check that wiki page out. And I was actually connecting to the box using PuTTY, but still i was having no luck. Probably becasue of my lack of Linux knowledge. But barrugordon's idea is pretty good. Ill have to give that a try as I have Ubuntu 10.04 running on my laptop.
I was having trouble installing XP, and WIn7 on an old desktop I had, Xp was hanging up where it needed to reboot after it installed and Win7 was not seeing my sata hard drive due to driver issues with my MOBO.

I donwloaded Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid desktop 32x and it installed just fine i then I downloaded XBMC and its running like a champion.

-=Jason=-
I bought a new AsRock 330HT-BD. It should be with me within a day or two. I am also wondering what the best option would be. Now, that the HD is fresh, I want the set-up to be right.

I would like to watch all my media stored in the local drive(s), browse the internet, stream media from internet (in case there is no suitable plugin/script in xbmc). I also would like a faster boot time.

I am thinking of installing ubuntu and xbmc live as partitions, or ubuntu and xbmc app. I would like to keep a partition for the media.

I would like to know opinions and thoughts of other users and their set-ups.

EDIT: I read that I can install Xbmc on USB drive, and if the USB drive is plugged-in, Xbmc could auto-boot. I think that is a fantastic option. Would I be able to add the local drives as a source though?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installing XBMC+Ubuntu0