Exit XBMC to Ubuntu desktop
Quote:Is there a way to exit the XBMC session
When you exit xbmc you drop out to gdm login where you can change...not sure how this can be missunderstood.

Quote:It tried commands gdm and xstart but they fail.
This makes no sense what so ever if you are in a gdm/xbmc session. Also it is startx.
I think the issue is people not noticing on the login screen down right at the bottom there is a spot where you can choose your session - you need to choose 'ubuntu desktop' rather than

So:

Choose 'exit' in XBMC

(You go back to the login screen)

Choose another user (one that has a password so that you don't instantly log in) and look right down the bottom of the page to change the session.

It's actually not that obvious and easy to miss (at least on Maverick), I didn't notice it at first. I found it wierd that all my users default to the XBMC session once I'd made it.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Check! Same problem here ... any way to return to the login shell and/or login prompt for a second login? Some secret escape sequence?
Same problem? Why not use the same solution?
In the post above your own bossonova explains it is clear as possible.

This thread for disussing how to exit the xbmc session in an ubuntu desktop installation.
If you have another problem post somewhere else.

Perhaps someone should lock this thread? It seem to be broken...
I just posted a reply here, as the forum looked utterly empty when it came to answers. Turned out that the forum was set to threaded mode, so only the original post showed up. Changing to linear mode shows all the answers :-)
Newbie issue, sorry, although I think this must be a common pitfall among new users of the forum.
ok!Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Exit XBMC to Ubuntu desktop0