Questions about live/linux xbmc
Hi there xbmc forum Smile
So i have been lurking around on this site for quite some time now and im quite loving xbmc, currently i am running xbmc live installed on a 2,5" hdd that runs on a zotac ion-a (atom 330) with 4 gb ram so its playing pretty smooth! Smile

But i ran into some questions, i tried searching for some of them and cant find the exact answer im looking for:

1. Linux vs Live:
I am currently running on a live version because i guess its easier to install :3 but what are the main advantage getting a Linux install instead of a live install? Also, cant i install [Linux] stuff on my live version? they are after all both running on a Linux kernel.

2. Amitech Mini keyboard
Can i turn on my computer using my Amitech Mini keyboard? it runs over IR trough usb.

3. Trouble with Library Sad
I've tried quite a lot and i cant get the automatic search to add my movies to the library automatically :/ The only way i can add the movies is by adding the one by one and i think i got a movie collection with 100+ movies so it will take quite some time Smile the movies are on my windows server 2008 and i can easily watch by going into their folder and click the mkv file. Could the problem be that they are in folders?

I think thats my problems for now Smile Thank you for making this wonderful program XBMC team and thank you all for answering questions in this forum, and sorry for not putting , and . (grammar isnt my best ability Smile)

-Hapseleg
Quote:1. Linux vs Live:
I am currently running on a live version because i guess its easier to install :3 but what are the main advantage getting a Linux install instead of a live install? Also, cant i install [Linux] stuff on my live version? they are after all both running on a Linux kernel.
Live is ubuntu 9.10. Start installing stuff!
well, then let's see how long it takes him to srsly fuck up the live install Wink nvidia graphics driver update and kernel updates should do the job quite soon...
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Most likely, but I dont know that. There is plenty of IT professional that can deal with it but don't know linux. Such as myself.

I won't bet against you. This and 50% of all question in this forum can be answererd with "if you can't google it, you can't implement it"

I will add a disclaimer:
Since you have to ask, you will most likely break it if you try.

happy?
more than that! Wink
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Well im just following the guides if i have to install something Smile i have already installed some stuff that said [live] so its no problem really, i guess the next thing will be frontend
bump Smile
I have all sorts of stuff installed over a live install, with the latest kernel and nvidia drivers, and other than fixing the init.d file for sabnzbd nothing has broken. No need to be such a downer. Take your time, read up on how certain processes work, and remember that if something goes wrong it's easy to reinstall live and start over.
What Hannes_the_hun mean is that as soon as you run an update&&upgrade on 9.11Live the live graphical drivers breaks. Sometimes there is five posts about that on the first page inthe forum.
cowfodder Wrote:I have all sorts of stuff installed over a live install, with the latest kernel and nvidia drivers, and other than fixing the init.d file for sabnzbd nothing has broken.
I bet that your virtual tty's are broken with the latest nvida drivers. The price of me losing that bet is your telling us how you fixed them. Wink
I've found that before making all sorts of major changes that backing my system up is a good idea. Then if I totally hose it I can recover and be fine. It's not that hard...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Questions about live/linux xbmc0