Lots of drops with VDPAU for 1080i content - very jerky playback
I've been trying to get XBMC to playback our DVB-T recordings smoothly for the last week with a shiny new Asus EN210 Silent video card (passively cooled nVidia G210).

I've followed the forum thread on how to setup nVidia so all the refresh rate modes are available and the xorg.conf matches what was suggested in that sticky forum thread.

At the moment, all of the smooth video test samples I have, e.g. Killa, Star Wars intro, Heros 2002 fight scene, all playback really well. Big Buck Bunny at 1080p also plays back smoothly.

However, playback with our recorded 1080i content is horrendous. It's like someone is moving the TV left quickly then right slowly during any panning scenes.

I have an nVidia G210 card and all the VDPAU playback is working. The source content is 50Hz and the refresh rate is changing to 50Hz so completely smooth playback should be possible. However, the framerate during playback isn't getting anywhere near the 50fps it should be. In fact it hardly gets over 40fps which is worse than software decoding with the skiploopfilter set to 48 (AMD64 X2 3.0GHz CPU).

What have I done wrongHuh Debug log file at http://pastebin.com/nqZpqH4u

Note that I used to have the "number of reference frames exceeds max (probably corrupt input), discarding one" errors in the log with software decoding and it never caused any problems.

My guess is all the "avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet. size: 16907, consumed: 0" is part of the problem. I would have thought the nVidia G210 chipset with 512Mb of DDR2 onboard memory would have been ample.

Thanks for any help.
Use MythTV for recording TV? Try the integrated MythTV support in XBMC Media Center. Now with commercial skip support built-in and integration with the Movie database!
dteirney Wrote:I've been trying to get XBMC to playback our DVB-T recordings smoothly for the last week with a shiny new Asus EN210 Silent video card (passively cooled nVidia G210).

I've followed the forum thread on how to setup nVidia so all the refresh rate modes are available and the xorg.conf matches what was suggested in that sticky forum thread.

At the moment, all of the smooth video test samples I have, e.g. Killa, Star Wars intro, Heros 2002 fight scene, all playback really well. Big Buck Bunny at 1080p also plays back smoothly.

However, playback with our recorded 1080i content is horrendous. It's like someone is moving the TV left quickly then right slowly during any panning scenes.

I have an nVidia G210 card and all the VDPAU playback is working. The source content is 50Hz and the refresh rate is changing to 50Hz so completely smooth playback should be possible. However, the framerate during playback isn't getting anywhere near the 50fps it should be. In fact it hardly gets over 40fps which is worse than software decoding with the skiploopfilter set to 48 (AMD64 X2 3.0GHz CPU).

What have I done wrongHuh Debug log file at http://pastebin.com/nqZpqH4u

Note that I used to have the "number of reference frames exceeds max (probably corrupt input), discarding one" errors in the log with software decoding and it never caused any problems.

My guess is all the "avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet. size: 16907, consumed: 0" is part of the problem. I would have thought the nVidia G210 chipset with 512Mb of DDR2 onboard memory would have been ample.

Thanks for any help.

1080i would be 25 fps interlaced. depend on how you deinterlace, I would expect 25 fps or 50 fps. This depends solely on the type of deinterlacing.

"avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet" means it's dropping frames.
De-interlace is set to Auto. Playback is way better for the 1080i content with VDPAU turned off. I currently have the skiploopfilter set to 32 and neither CPU core is maxed out so there have been some optimizations in ffmpeg for H264 as I would not have got away with that previously. Smooth playback with software decoding is running at 50fps.

Is there anything I can do to get the VDPAU playback working well for 1080i? Do I need a video card with more memory or is something else going on?

Is there anything else that I should turn off to see if that helps?
Use MythTV for recording TV? Try the integrated MythTV support in XBMC Media Center. Now with commercial skip support built-in and integration with the Movie database!
Can you turn off vdpau scaling.
I have the same problem with XBMC for Windows, in my case with and without the CrystalHD card enabled so I think is a dvdplayer problem because if I change the .ts file framerate to 24 with tsMuxeR, there aren't any dropped frames.

I'm also getting the "avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet" messages.

I uploaded a sample here for those devs interested.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Can you turn off vdpau scaling.

I've had the same problem before I turned on VDPAU scaling. However, I turned if off to check again. Sure enough, no difference. I can attach a log file if that helps.

Or, you can download a 1 minute sample of a scene in a DVB-T recording that is particularly judder rich. 100MB for just that minute. The 1080i DVB-T files are massive.

http://s3.teirney.net/xbmc/samples/dvb-t...sample.mpg

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lots of drops with VDPAU for 1080i content - very jerky playback0