Static Noise When Pausing/Unpausing Videos
Big Grin 
Hey Everyone!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! I have a huge favor to ask one of you smart people out there to help me figure out this crazy issue!

Before I get to the problem here is my setup:
ASRock ION 330HT (default hardware specs)
NVIDIA 190.53
XBMC Live 9.11 r26018
Audio output-->Digital
DD (AC3) capable receiver-->enabled
DTS capbable receiver-->enabled
Audio output device-->HDMI
Passthrough output device-->HDMI
Skin Transparency! V2.11
Samsung 46" LCD TV
Samsung Receiver (AV-R720)
My ASRock is hooked up to my Samsung Receiver via a HDMI cable. The receiver is then hooked up to my LCD TV via a HDMI cable as well.

I have a situation whenever I pause a video (any format) and play the movie again I get loud static noise out of my speakers. If I shut off my amp and power it back on the audio starts playing alright again. At first I thought maybe it was my amp or the HDMI cables I was using. I have tried many different HDMI cables which made no difference and I've already sent back my amp to the store and got some of the parts replaced with new ones (HDMI borad, etc). When I got the unit back with the new parts I tested out the videos again and I still get the static noise when pausing/unpausing. Now, I was playing with the setttings in XBMC and if I enable "Adjust display refresh rate to match video", "sync playback to disaply" and "A/V sync method to Audio clock" the problem is almost fixed. Now when I pause a video and play it again about 70-80% of the time it plays the audio fine. Sometimes however, when I start playing the video again there is a very silent hissing noise for a number of seconds and then the audio starts playing fine again. I'm not sure what else to do and I really would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this Smile

FYI, if I use my Blu-ray player on another HDMI port on my amp I have no problems at all with static noise. Also, I have tried using different ports on my amp to my ASRock but that has made no difference as well. One last thing, if I hook up my WD TV Live box to my amp and play the same videos I have no issues at all with noise when pausing/unpausing videos. Thanks in advance for any help!! Nod
Anyone have any ideas at all? I'll give you a big hug if you can help me figure out this issue =P haha
Hello HaVoCMeSS.

I experienced kind of the same problem as you;
When I paused in a movie, I received continous stuttering/white noise in my speakers connected to the SPDIF-output. But on my TV, where I run the sound via HDMI, I did not have this problem.

Also running on a ASRock ION330-HT. XBMC svn33778, on Ubuntu Lucid (9.10).

I started googling this only 10 minutes ago, after getting sick'n'tired of this noise... And then I tried a hack I found in another post, which had to do with the .asoundrc file (sound output).

My old .asoundrc was setup to output sound to both TV (HDMI) and AMP (SPDIF). But I had to add this:

pcm.dmixrec {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
pcm "receiver"
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 8192
rate 48000
}
bindings {
0 0
1 1
}
}

To get it to work right.

So, my full .asoundrc does now contain this:

--------------------------------------------------

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "both"
}
}

pcm.both {
type route
slave {
pcm multi
channels 4
}
ttable.0.0 1.0
ttable.1.1 1.0
ttable.0.2 1.0
ttable.1.3 1.0
}

pcm.multi {
type multi
slaves.a {
pcm "tv"
channels 2
}
slaves.b {
# pcm "receiver"
pcm "dmixrec"
channels 2
}
bindings.0.slave a
bindings.0.channel 0
bindings.1.slave a
bindings.1.channel 1
bindings.2.slave b
bindings.2.channel 0
bindings.3.slave b
bindings.3.channel 1
}

# This was added to solve a problem with loud white noise to the SPDIF-output
# while pausing a movie.
pcm.dmixrec {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
pcm "receiver"
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 8192
rate 48000
}
bindings {
0 0
1 1
}
}

pcm.tv {
type hw
card 0
device 3
channels 2
}

pcm.receiver {
type hw
card 0
device 1
channels 2
}

--------------------------------------------------

To try to explain this; The "receiver"-output was the one which gave me noise. So I changed slaves.b to output to 'dmixrec' , and then added a 'pcm.dmixrec' entry which tells it to run at rate 48.000 and some more, which then routes the sound to pcm.receiver ...

Uhm, ok, maybe a bad explanation. English is not my mother tongue, so I feel clumsy Wink

But please try this, and see if it could help you too! And let me know how it goes. Smile

Kind regards from Norway,
// jorno.
Ok, I did not say this, but as your setup is:

ASRock --(HDMI)--> AMP --(HDMI)--> TV

where's my setup is:

ASRock -l-(SPDIF)--> AMP
\-(HDMI)--> TV

You should probably edit that .asoundrc a bit before it'll work as expected for you... I'll give it a shot:

---------------------------------------------
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "dmixrec"
}
}

pcm.dmixrec {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
pcm "tv"
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 8192
rate 48000
}
bindings {
0 0
1 1
}
}

pcm.tv {
type hw
card 0
device 3
channels 2
}

---------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, I'm not very good with alsa/.asoundrc settings, so this may or may not work. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Static Noise When Pausing/Unpausing Videos0