[LIVE] Mount Physical NTFS Drive
Hi All,

I am booting XBMC live 9.11 from a flash disk on my laptop but want to access my physical 250GB NTFS drive for my video library. I have tried following a suggestion in another thread about editing the menu.lst file, but it didn't work. The thread mentions editing a syslinux.cfg file on the flash disk but I can't find that file anywhere.

Have spent hours already, please help!

The thread I'm referring to is here :http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=50489&page=3
Need more information. What exactly have you tried? Do you mean that you removed "nodiskmount" from the kernel line in menu.lst? What kind of drive? You say NTFS, but is it internal/external, SATA, USB?

Can you see it in "fdisk -l"?

Have you tried manually mounting it? Do you have NTFS drivers installed? You might need to do "sudo apt-get install ntfs-config"

Try looking here and here if you haven't already tried something similar.
Yes I have removed the nodiskmount from the menu.lst file

It is the laptops hdd, a 250gb SATA internal drive. It shows up as Sda in fdisk -l

Haven't tried mounting it manually but I will once I figure out how to do it.
Try this to manually mount:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ntfs-config
sudo mkdir /media/laptopdrive
sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda /media/laptopdrive

Then you should see your drive when you navigate to /media/laptopdrive

To make it automatically mount when you boot, you'll need to add a line or two to /etc/fstab. Something like this:

Code:
sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.backup
sudo nano /etc/fstab

Look for a line with /dev/sda, and create/modify it as follows:
Code:
/dev/sda /media/laptopdrive ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0

To make sure everything's done right though, I would first read this to make sure that everything is covered.
matchsmalone Wrote:Try this to manually mount:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ntfs-config
sudo mkdir /media/laptopdrive
sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda /media/laptopdrive

Then you should see your drive when you navigate to /media/laptopdrive

To make it automatically mount when you boot, you'll need to add a line or two to /etc/fstab. Something like this:

Code:
sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.backup
sudo nano /etc/fstab

Look for a line with /dev/sda, and create/modify it as follows:
Code:
/dev/sda /media/laptopdrive ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0

To make sure everything's done right though, I would first read this to make sure that everything is covered.

You my friend are a scholar. It worked great. It wouldn't let me mount the disk but I was able to mount the partition I wanted. Smile

After all that, I realised the laptop will have no way to connect to the internet anyways lol

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Mount Physical NTFS Drive0