HDMI sound to TV, no sound to receiver
I'm having a really weird problem with HDMI sound on my Acer Revo with XBMC Live. If I directly connect the HDMI cable to my Panasonic plasma TV, I get sound out the TV speakers. If I connect the HDMI cable to my Denon AVR-591 receiver, with the receiver connected to the TV, I get no sound out the speakers connected to the receiver. Both my cable box and DVD player connected via HDMI to my receiver work fine. I have updated ALSA to the latest version and made sure it is unmuted. The audio settings in xbmc are set to digital with device and pass through set to HDMI and downmix to 2 channel enabled. I really don't understand how this could be an xbmc or linux problem when I get sound directly connected to my TV, however, I can't find anything in the receiver settings that seems to be causing this. Running Karmic, but was seeing the same problem with Jaunty. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am totally baffled.

Thanks,
Jeff
I've run into this a few months ago with my 4810 and some others have encountered it with the 3310. It appears to be something from a recent Denon firmware update that is breaking audio connectivity with Revo's.
I had the same problem after upgrade my denon 2310 to last version. But seems the problem are the nvidia drivers itself.

After upgrade the nvidia drivers to lasted beta, got it fixed.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
The solution that jplour posted worked perfect for me and I have had no problems for several months. Then I did a full clean install of XBMCLive 10.0 and the problem is back. As such, I updated the nvidia drivers again and instead of getting "256.35-0ubuntu0sarvatt~lucid as before I get a newer 260 version. While this fixes the HDMI audio problem, it seems to introduce a problem with the picture quality. I would like to find a way to install "256.35-0ubuntu0sarvatt~lucid. I tried the following:

sudo aptitude install nvidia-current=256.35-0ubuntu0sarvatt~lucid

but got the following error:

Unable to find a version "256.35-0ubuntu0sarvatt~lucid" for the package "nvidia-current"

Can anyone tell me how to download and install the older 256.35 version of the drivers?
I updated the nvidia drivers as shown above but now when I boot I get the xbmc loading screen and then the screen goes to black. Is there a way to undo this update of the nvidia drivers?
Worked perfectly on my Denon 791. Rebooted afterward using $ shutdown -h now
TheGeebs Wrote:Worked perfectly on my Denon 791. Rebooted afterward using $ shutdown -h now

Well 9+ months ago there were issues, with the nvidia drivers, which were updated to resolve this, and have been updated many more times since then. Could be why you aren't running into problems now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI sound to TV, no sound to receiver0