What media manager do you recommend to download metadata?
There are a bunch of these I see - MediaElch, Ember, TinyMM, MediaCompanion. 

What I need to do -

- download metadata, artwork, nfo for large number of movies/tv shows
- should have ability to pick best match in case of conflict. some of these just give you a list and fail if there are multiple matches, some others e.g. the agent in Plex, will be smart about it, e.g. if you supply the year it will pick the relevant match
- rename files and move into folders (MediaCenterMaster is able to do this I think, but its not free)
- have ability to load external metadata agents (kodi compatible ones listed in forum here)
- have support for extrafanart

I'd also like to know:
- what is the best convention to use - e.g for poster, is it best to use <movie>.jpg, <movie>-poster.jpg? 
- is it possible to have a single shared .actors folder instead of one for each movie?

Another option I thought of is to add all the folders in Kodi, then use ArtworkBeef (Artwork Downloader before) to get metadata, then use library export. Has anyone done this?

I will be using Jellyfin as my media server, and it fully supports Kodi nfo files, as does Emby.
(2021-01-11, 07:48)MrCrispy Wrote: There are a bunch of these I see - MediaElch, Ember, TinyMM, MediaCompanion. 

What I need to do -

- download metadata, artwork, nfo for large number of movies/tv shows
- should have ability to pick best match in case of conflict. some of these just give you a list and fail if there are multiple matches, some others e.g. the agent in Plex, will be smart about it, e.g. if you supply the year it will pick the relevant match
- rename files and move into folders (MediaCenterMaster is able to do this I think, but its not free)
- have ability to load external metadata agents (kodi compatible ones listed in forum here)
- have support for extrafanart

I'd also like to know:
- what is the best convention to use - e.g for poster, is it best to use <movie>.jpg, <movie>-poster.jpg? 
- is it possible to have a single shared .actors folder instead of one for each movie?

Another option I thought of is to add all the folders in Kodi, then use ArtworkBeef (Artwork Downloader before) to get metadata, then use library export. Has anyone done this?

I will be using Jellyfin as my media server, and it fully supports Kodi nfo files, as does Emby.

All the clients listed provide same basic functionality eg metadata and artwork.  In my opinion they all outperform Plex Agent in matching correct titles.  I dont use them to perform renaming (I use Sonarr and Radarr for that purpose).  The devil is in the detail with settings config so read through them all to understand what they can do.  I used to use Mediaelch however my Mac OS client is too old to support latest versions so I tried TMM and stuck with it (note: recent change requires 12 month subscription for latest versions).

I use Kodi, Jellyfin and Emby and they read Kodi nfo files perfectly.

Unfortunately there is no standardisation for naming conventions across different media clients.  Kodi, Jellyfin, Emby will read poster.ext and <moviename>-poster.ext, Plex will not, it only recognises poster.ext or folder.ext as I discovered after renaming recent additions to my library.  I wouldn't bother with Artwork Beef addon as its no longer supported in Matrix as Kodi client will automatically handle art.  AB doesn't scrape metadata it only matches artwork.

I wouldn't recommend using single shared folder for .actors or anything.

TMM supports current and legacy extrafanart naming conventions, I cant speak for any other client.  It also supports generating nfo files for different media center apps like Kodi, Plex, Emby.

My favourite feature is creating custom genres to more accurately categorise content and changing country for content rating to Australia instead of default US.

I tested all of them to settle on my preferred client so your mileage may vary.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What media manager do you recommend to download metadata?0