New Install - No Audio
Ok, several odd things here. I tested with Live and audio worked, so I went ahead and installed to disk. Now, the audio doesn't make so much as a peep, but it appears to be playing. I checked the alsamixer and played around with the audio playback settings, but nothing got the audio working so far. This is on an IBM Thinkpad x40. Thoughts? I'll keep searching for now.
Followup: Would it in any way matter that I have another, older Ubuntu on this laptop? I had been using this laptop for network diagnostics (been troubleshooting a crappy router for about a month now) and I just made another partition for XMBC.

I have the a "ad1981b" based audio card on this laptop. I am just trying to get the headphone jack/built in speakers to produce audio. If I switch to the IEC951 and try to play audio, XMBC gives an error saying the device can't be initialized (I assume because it doesn't match up to my audio card). If I switch back to 'default' and play audio, no sound is heard, but tracks appear to be playing.
My thinkpad has a separate mixer for the headphone jack. Check that your outputs are all unmuted in alsamixer.
I have checked alsamixer; all is well.

I am using Live right now and audio works. The installed version of XBMC audio does not work. What would be different?
Hmm. I just found out something interesting: the laptop's volume buttons change the volume but don't affect Alsamixer. What values are they affecting, then? Perhaps another mixer is being muted.
Ok, I think it has something to do with the hardware volume buttons. I found someone who fixed the problem on a similar IBM for another distro, but I do not understand enough to know what to do:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=63690

maybe someone can explain to me if that part about xorg.conf applies to me and how to edit it...I do know how to get to shell and all for XBMC
Hah. Resolved. Honestly, I have no idea what got it. I kept messing with alsamixer, muted and unmuted things, and then saved via 'sudo alsactl store 0'. Currently, I have the headphone and line muted. Whatever. It works Smile Maybe this will help someone else with an IBM x40 some time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Install - No Audio0