Video Static?
So here's an extremely odd, semi-non-reproducible issue I have with XBMC. It also may have to do with Handbrake, but I think the issue has to stem from XBMC, so bear with me.

I've been ripping my Blu-ray collection lately, and putting it on a Drobo which is then streamed to a Revo 3610 running XBMC Live. I rip on my MacBook Pro using MakeMKV, then I use Handbrake using High Profile settings, only changing the file type to an MKV and removing the audio tracks. I OCR the subtitles, then remux everything back together using MKVToolnix, then transfer to my Drobo which streams to the Revo.

I realize there's a lot in that workflow, going from Blu-ray > MakeMKV > HandBrake > BDSup2Sub > MKVToolnix > Drobo > XBMC, but XBMC seems to be the variable that can reproduce the issue, so I'm not how else to tackle this.

Basically, everything I've ripped works fine except for ONE file. I ripped all episodes of an anime series, and the bugged file just gives me visual static, even though the audio is fine. This is what it looks like when I try to watch it through XBMC on my TV. The weird thing is that I can open the exact same file on my MBP (Not a different version of it, I open it from the Drobo over the network) in VLC and it plays fine.

Since it plays fine in VLC, I think that has to be pointing to an issue with XBMC. I'm going to try reripping it soon to see if that fixes it, which would point to an issue with Handbrake, but VLC seems to think there's nothing wrong with it, so I really don't know what to think at this point!

Thanks for any light you can shed on this!

Edit: I was just doing some snooping in VLC, and it looks like every other episode is 1920x1080 (Or x1072 because of loose anamorphic encoding), with black bars hard-coded on the sides because it's a 4:3 show. This episode doesn't have that, and the resolution is 1920x1440, aka higher than the resolution of a TV. Could this have something to do with it? Since computers can scale, would this be the reason for the episode not working on XBMC Live?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Static?0