When to upgrade?
I am still pretty new to this whole thing. I had been using 9.11 for a while, then started hearing about new features in the nightly builds. so i upgraded and now there is a new build everyday.

so my question is: when do you guys upgrade or do you try to stay with the latest nightlyHuh?
Generally I think it's best to stick with what works. I don't really upgrade unless I need to do so to make a plugin work, or if there's a particular feature I want in a later build. Generally you won't normally notice much difference anyway.

If you're running XBMC on Windows and really want to have the latest nightly every time you use it then you could automate the process by using this automatic update program:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=48517
Well considering sometimes the nightly builds have broken features I am just going to use the official release until the next one comes out.

It all depends if your ok with messing around with nightly builds...
so the general consensus is to stick with official releases
We don't expect the nightlies to be stable. They are exactly that, automated nightly builds. Users of these should expect to see in-between features and general broken-ness. Anything that works is purely coincidental Wink

So yes, if you want to play/debug/test/dev, use a nightly. For your living room, use stable.

TheUni
Nightlies are generally stable for me. I am usually on the bleeding edge and rarely have been sliced and bloodied (addons merge aside, though that is pretty much cleared up now). Usually you can look at the svn and see if a specific feature is getting attention, so seeing what may not be perfect is pretty easy to do.

If you are not tech savvy, or want absolute stability, stick with official releases. But I have had no ridiculous problems with nightlies. And when I did, it is easy to install an earlier build.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
When to upgrade?0