Question about the "HDMI audio on nVidia Geoforce GT240" WIKI
Hello all.

In the "HOW-TO set up HDMI audio on nVidia Geoforce G210 etc" WIKI which is here http://forum.xbmc.org/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=52 the author says :-

Quote:"Ubuntu users make sure to remove the linux-backports-modules-alsa-`uname -r` package or your newly compiled ALSA drivers will be ignored".

I assume the reference to "uname -r" is the authors shorthand for "kernal module" ? Is this correct ? If so, then I am still confused.

There are several files beginning "linux-backports-modules-alsa-" on my Ubuntu 10.04, so which ones am I supposed to remove ?

regards
videodrone.
please have a look with google what the command "uname -r" does, then think again
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
A most unhelpful reply.
You assume I have not googled it. I have. That is why I know what uname -r does. That is why i guess the author is using some form of Linux shorthand that i do not understand.

Does anyone else know the answer to my question ?

regards
videodrone.
the output of uname -r tells you which kernel is in use, and exactly for this kernel you have to remove the alsa backports

do I get an award for the "most unhelpful reply", or do you want an "idiot of the day" award?
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Hannes The Hun Wrote:the output of uname -r tells you which kernel is in use, and exactly for this kernel you have to remove the alsa backports

do I get an award for the "most unhelpful reply", or do you want an "idiot of the day" award?

why you not remove this package with this (linux-backports-modules-alsa-`uname -r`) option to your distro "package remove command"?

any command inside this(`) quotes will be replaced with the output of the command inside the quotes (make sure you use exactly *this* quotes.

so
Code:
<command> linux-backports-modules-alsa-`uname -r`
will do the right thing what you want.

for example:
Code:
echo `ls /bin` > /tmp/my_bindir
creates an file with the content of your /bin dir
greetings, Stephan

Just type

dpkg -l | grep linux-backports-modules-alsa

to see if it is installed.

And yes, uname -r tells you what kernel is kernel active. You may have several installed, but this will tell you which one you booted into.
Thanks !

Everything is clear now.

regards
videodrone
my pleasure!
Asus Chromebox EZ Script

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question about the "HDMI audio on nVidia Geoforce GT240" WIKI0