[LIVE] Aspire Revo not connecting to internet/network with ethernet cable
Sad 
I have just successfully installed XBMC Live 9.11 from the ISO provided on xbmc.org on my Acer Aspire Revo 3610. My plan is to have it pull down movies and TV shows from my HP Mediasmart Windows Home Server which is on my home network, and also to push a new skin onto it from my Windows based computer.
I will likely be able to figure out how to do those things myself with the help of some of these forum guides, but I cannot connect to my network through an Ethernet cable. Also apart from the installer, I don't know where to retry connecting and/or manually setting up internet connection again, and don't really want to reinstall XBMC Live 9.11 all over...

If there is a previous thread someone can link me to, or a noob level walkthrough someone can give me that would be fantastic.

To summarise, all I want to do is connect to my network. But it isn't working through Ethernet cables.:confused2: And I don't know what part of the UI lets me connect to the internet/network. Also my Router is a D Link DIR-655 (Wireless N).

By the way, as far as I know I do have [DHCP Server : Enabled] on my router (it said something about DHCP in the installer).

Thanks for any help,

Jason
Can you post the output of:
Code:
ifconfig
in a terminal (should be able to use ctrl+alt+F1 to get to it)?
HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard
I was just about to get that for you when I ran into a little snag

I pressed Ctrl Alt F1 and it prompted me to log in, so I tried to but when it asked me for my password, nothing would show up when I was typing. I assumed that was just so it could be discrete about not showing private information, but I still didn't get logged in when I typed in my password.

I also tried 'xbmc' under both fields but no luck.

....how do I log in? :o
My mistake. I got it.

this is the output

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:48 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:48 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:13732 (13.7 KB) TX bytes: 13732 (13.7 KB)
That's the loopback. Did you see an entry labled eth0?

Also, you can type "exit" in the terminal to log out, then press ctrl+alt+F7 to get back to your XBMC session.
HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard
looks like eth0 was not configured when you installed the live image

Quote: sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces

# The primary network interface – use DHCP to find our address
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hello again,

When I typed in 'sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces'

it brought me to a page with no references to eth0, only 'loopback'
when I attempted to add in the code you showed above, it was overwriting what was there so I stopped.

Is there a way to reinstall xbmc with ethernet already good to go? Or even wifi?

Thanks for the help so far everyone
Big Grin 
I reinstalled and it now gets internet through ethernet cables.

Big Grin Big Grin

Thanks for helping guys
'vi' is a pain in the ass, I was not sure if 'editor' is part of the live image but that would have done the job without reinstalling

glad it works now!
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Aspire Revo not connecting to internet/network with ethernet cable0