Help - Installing MythTv
Hi all,

I have an ASROCK 330HT-BD and installed ubuntu 9.11 + xbmc from disc.

I now have a USB TV Tuner card, and want to install mythtv and get it running through xbmc.

I've hunted around for an installation guide, with no luck
I've managed to:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mythtv

Through the various prompts as part of the installation:
1. Did not set up a mysql server password (left it blank)
2. Selected "No" when asked if I'll be sharing this mythtv with other computers (or other computer Front Ends).

Installation finished.

......now what? Hunted around a bit and haven't really found any information around configuring xbmc + installing mythtv ---- something that I would expect would be quite common?

Anyway, any help / guidance / links would be useful Wink
Now what?

/usr/bin/mythtv-setup

That's what Wink

Sounds like you've installed Myth but have not configured it at all. Get myth up & running with the stock frontend before even trying the myth:// connection via XBMC.

MythTV's install docs
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/

Mythbuntu install (on top of existing ubuntu) docs
http://mythbuntu.org/existing-ubuntu

I'm not sure how wed you are to your existing OS install. I found the stock mythbuntu install to be very simple (rather then the apt-get addon like your doing). Myth is by far the more complicated app to install/configure compared to XBMC & adding xbmc onto a mythbuntu base install is trivial. Thats my $0.02 at least.

-Rupert
Ok, i type mythtv-setup and it gives me errors - cannot open display or somesuch.

Now, my remote control has stopped behaving correctly - pressing the power button on the remote does nothing, and pressing the power button to turn it off kicks me back to a terminal login (and doesn't switch off the machine like it did yesterday).

I have freaked out and apt-get remove mythtv and mythtv-backend.

You recommend I re-install the OS using mythbuntu, then add xbmc later?

This sounds very complicated just to get my tv tuner card working - why can't this be easier!!!
It could be easier if you learnt how to set up MythTV Smile.

If the PVR functionality of Xbmc relies on a MythTV backend that requires you to set it up properly. That's pure logic. Nothing complicated about it.

If you are trying to run MythTV's setup on a tty and not from a console in an X session that will give you a 'can't open display' error.

And yes, MythTV can be a b*tch to set up Smile. You also need to configure your MySQL server properly. Using blank passwords is not the way to go. You might as well use the password of the account that will be running MythTV/Xbmc.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
Really. Save yourself some time and frustration. Use Mythbuntu to install. Then install and configure xbmc which is a breeze compared to mythtv.
or use the xbmc live cd which includes tvheadend

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help - Installing MythTv0